Purple Tang white lips/open mouth

ShilReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a new captive bred purple tang. Currently on day 5 QT. I've just noticed that it has a white growth/bump around it's mouth.
She seems to be eating well. QT is currently 2.5ppm Copper (copper power). And am dosing general cure every couple of days.
Any ideas:

PT 1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello,

I have a new captive bred purple tang. Currently on day 5 QT. I've just noticed that it has a white growth/bump around it's mouth.
She seems to be eating well. QT is currently 2.5ppm Copper (copper power). And am dosing general cure every couple of days.
Any ideas:

PT 1.jpg
Pics are dark and fuzzy and best under white light intensity but my guess is that this is a slight injury which may have occured during netting and should heal on its own as fish adjusts to new setting.
Is it eating or attempting to eat?
Is breathing normal or labored?
In the event it becomes infected, have some seachem kanaplex or maracyn 2 on hand just in case

OP
OP
S

ShilReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are dark and fuzzy and best under white light intensity but my guess is that this is a slight injury which may have occured during netting and should heal on its own as fish adjusts to new setting.
Is it eating or attempting to eat?
Is breathing normal or labored?
In the event it becomes infected, have some seachem kanaplex or maracyn 2 on hand just in case

Have added another vid and pic hopefully they're a little clearer.
She's eating well. Breathing seems normal, although she's vigorously nibbling at the airline tube (possibly scratching the wound on her mouth??)
How would i be able to tell if it becomes infected? I have Rally Pro and Kanaplex at hand. Do you know if there would be any issues with dosing either of these in water with copper and general cure?

PT2 a.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have added another vid and pic hopefully they're a little clearer.
She's eating well. Breathing seems normal, although she's vigorously nibbling at the airline tube (possibly scratching the wound on her mouth??)
How would i be able to tell if it becomes infected? I have Rally Pro and Kanaplex at hand. Do you know if there would be any issues with dosing either of these in water with copper and general cure?

PT2 a.jpg
Thank you. Mouth shows injury and should heal on its own and netting is my suspect. Eating is a great sign and how will you know:
Wil become red or raw looking
Will impact ability to eat
Difficulty with normal breathing.

Looks better than I thought

OP
OP
S

ShilReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Mouth shows injury and should heal on its own and netting is my suspect. Eating is a great sign and how will you know:
Wil become red or raw looking
Will impact ability to eat
Difficulty with normal breathing.

Looks better than I thought
Great. Thanks for your help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Any ideas:

PT 1.jpg

Was the tang recently caught up in a net? This sort of damage is common in fish that got snagged in a net.

I prefer not to run GC and copper at the same time, unless there is a compelling reason - like a fish has active ich and flukes at the same time.

Jay

OP
OP
S

ShilReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the tang recently caught up in a net? This sort of damage is common in fish that got snagged in a net.

I prefer not to run GC and copper at the same time, unless there is a compelling reason - like a fish has active ich and flukes at the same time.

Jay

Thanks Jay. A net was not used between LFS and the QT, so doubt it's a net injury.

Back