Purple Tang

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I was wondering, for those of you who own a purple tang, what do you have it housed with? As far as other tangs and bigger fish?(not the smaller fish) do they fight with a lot of other fish?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine happen to be with a black tang and a gem tang and he is ok. He does go after the black tang but so does the black tang so they are a balance. My hippo don't care. As far as other fish he does not bother. At night though he is the master in the tank

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating adding one but I hear horror stories, especially with having a yellow tang as a tank mate, but then I hear good stories Lol so I'm up in the air. They'd be in a 150 together. Just don't wanna spend the money and then have it head south.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saying hi to each other

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool picture. There's one at one of my LFS that was brought it by someone that broke down their tank. He's supposedly a decent size and they're asking $100. I don't wanna buy on impulse but I'm going to look at em today if he's still there.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If he is healthy that's a very good price and they r getting rare

Jc_ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 150 as a salt tank, I had a purple with a yellow, sailfin, and blue hippo. The sailfin and yellow bullied and killed that purple.

I took the time to catch and remove the sailfin and six months later I tried another purple with the yellow and blue hippo and it worked out great.

To me, the two purples I got were on the meeker side of things, especially being the last tang added to the tank. The sailfin was the bully, and it was a shame as he was large and gorgeous...

OP
OP
Sobo's Reef

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about trying to catch my yellow and then add something else but he's too fast. I'm just gonna get an acclimation box and see if that helps when the time comes. My yellow beat up on my PBT for the first week then he stopped. Same with my Orange Shoulder tang that I had he recently died though to unrelated issues :/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back