Purple tang

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all.
I have been on the hunt for a purple tang for a while now and found one at my local fish store today.
It’s a juvenile and what concerns me are white lines and white spots around it’s eyes and mouth.

The owner assured me that it’s a vitamin deficiency due to them not having the adequate alge in the display tanks.

Before I bought I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has seen or experienced it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant on purchasing that tang. Our purple actually did not eat a lot of nori. We did feed him a variety of food though. IMO, it sounds like a story from the store to get you to buy.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't pay full retail price for unhealthy fish. I wouldn't buy a fish that I suspect it has ick or any parasite for that matter. If you post some pictures, the guru here might be able to help you. It's hard to tell without pictures.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 unless they’re willing to give you a discount and some sort of guarantee if the fish dies.

Is it eating?

The excuse about not having algae in the tank is bs...

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a picture?

In general, all the sailfin tangs (purple, yellow, scopas, the two big sailfins) are really hardy. If it is eating, and it isn't too far gone, and you have the ability to QT, then I wouldn't worry too much.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like they are saying it has head and lateral line erosion. It's common in purple tangs and depending on how bad it is you might have permanent scaring. I've seen it heal up quickly in minor cases when they receive a balanced diet with lots of algae but equally seen fish that are hard to cure.
I certainly wouldn't be paying full money for the tang and I'd read up on hlle so you know what you are potentially letting yourself into if it is.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Live Aquarea had them on sale yesterday medium around $110. I waited and found one locally and paid full price. He is a pig and a happy addition. BTW I had to give a yellow away, he was not happy about the addition;)

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW Live Aquarea had them on sale yesterday medium around $110. I waited and found one locally and paid full price. He is a pig and a happy addition. BTW I had to give a yellow away, he was not happy about the addition;)
Not fair, the yellow was there first. I want to add a purple tang too, but I'm afraid my PBT will have a fit.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not fair, the yellow was there first. I want to add a purple tang too, but I'm afraid my PBT will have a fit.
bigger, better, stronger, faster :cool:

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like they are saying it has head and lateral line erosion.

Yep, sounds like HLLE. Just back off with the carbon before it gets too bad and they'll get their color back real quick. I've had my purple tang since it was a juvenile and is a soldier having survived multiple near disasters.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
I have been on the hunt for a purple tang for a while now and found one at my local fish store today.
It’s a juvenile and what concerns me are white lines and white spots around it’s eyes and mouth.

The owner assured me that it’s a vitamin deficiency due to them not having the adequate alge in the display tanks.

Before I bought I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has seen or experienced it.

Definitely avoid. That's a pretty shady claim IMHO. Given the cost of a Purple Tang that would be a HUGE RISK taking that guy home.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for people who have to mail order there fish or don’t have many fish stores around and seem to just settle, don’t get to see them up close, see the actual fish they are getting, pay high prices etc,,,,, We are definitely spoiled here in SoCal. Unlimited selection, fish that can be ordered from the lfs and be had the same or next day and the cheap prices compared to online or what people report online.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back