Put a Lid on it

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Note from a newbie for newbies, but veterans please weigh in.

As a saltwater newbie I came into the hobby under the impression lids are optional. Some fish are labeled as jumping risks...but most tanks are shown without lids and the general idea is we don't want to suffocate the tank, spike pH, access is needed etc (I think). Mesh lids are the standard....My experience thus far is that every tank should have a lid.

All fish jump. I had to save my clown who jumped the first day I had him in after Quarantine. Pretty sure my dotty back jumped through a small crevice in my lid even after installed after the clown scare, though he might be hiding in the rocks (His name is Barry and he is probably a serial killer). And!: I just lost a midas blenny to jumping out of QT. None of these fish are labeled flight risks, but none the less have been jumpers.

I don't have any aggressive fish and I have plenty of hiding places in both tanks and the water parameters are reasonable (at least by beginner standards)....but fish jump. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Subsequently I have ordered a clearview lid for the DT and will retrofit my current red sea cover for the QT, but will rig something else up in the mean time.

PS....Does anybody have any tricks on how to put together the red sea DIY lid so it doesn't look like hot garbage? For such a sleek looking tank the lid just ends up looking frumpy no matter what I do.

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the red sea kit specifically, but when I build screen tops with bird netting from the hardware store and window frame kits, I ziptie it on before I push the mesh into the spline to make sure everything is even and to keep the edges at the tightness i want. I think the red sea kit is just a fancy version of what people DIY with hardware store components, so I feel like it would work..

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always put a lid because any fish can jump, it's just that there are some more known to do so than others. A lot of people just take them off for pictures.

If we buy these animals and they are under their care, why would we want them to jump out and go through the process of suffocating to death?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any aggressive fish and I have plenty of hiding places in both tanks and the water parameters are reasonable (at least by beginner standards)....but fish jump. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.
Couldn't agree more! Thanks for the reminder. I like using a mesh cover for gas exchange and heat transfer. Lots of folks do well with glass or acrylic. Either way, some form of cover is generally a good idea. Any fish can jump.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more! Thanks for the reminder. I like using a mesh cover for gas exchange and heat transfer. Lots of folks do well with glass or acrylic. Either way, some form of cover is generally a good idea. Any fish can jump.
Yea mesh is definitely the best, especially since glass and acrylic can cause spinal damage when fish hit them when really spooked and jump with enough force.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mesh is definitely the best, especially since glass and acrylic can cause spinal damage when fish hit them when really spooked and jump with enough force.
I had no idea about this! I have an acrylic hood on mine, I'll have to look at netting options as above have said

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the red sea kit specifically, but when I build screen tops with bird netting from the hardware store and window frame kits, I ziptie it on before I push the mesh into the spline to make sure everything is even and to keep the edges at the tightness i want. I think the red sea kit is just a fancy version of what people DIY with hardware store components, so I feel like it would work..
Thanks! That is a good idea, I am going to try that.

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost several fish in the past from jumping and none of them were labeled 'jumpers', it's a good reminder for everyone no matter how experienced. I ordered a clearview lid for my DT and cant wait for it to get here as I already have 2 clowns introduced but I wont add any others until the lid is installed. Very sad seeing a little guy all dried up from taking a leap.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far as I'm aware, there's but a single type of fish that is incapable of jumping - and from experience, a surprising number of them can find their way through the holes of something like eggcrate. If for no other reason, a mesh top (I did mine with 1/8") is pretty essential, unless all of your fish are seahorses.

~B.

40b Starter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small of a gap is acceptable?
I have HOB filter and mesh lid that fits “pretty” well but still one small opening that is maybe 1/2 inch by 1 inch. Does this need to be closed as well?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also did that. I did 3 layer on the bird netting though so no risk of getting out. A little gap on the bow of the tank i put a slip of plexi-glass. It is my qt so i dont really care about asthetics too much

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if my dottyback got out it was through a gap the size of ~1/4 cord in the back where my powerhead cord runs out of the tank. I have read some people saying their fish get out that size gap.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I have ever lost to jumping was a cleaner wrasse, and that was the day I improperly replaced the lid on my aquarium. Found the tiniest, wrasse sized hole.

reymcrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearviewlids make amazing lids for any type of aquarium. Very firm and steady lids. I got one for my Red Sea 250 I send my dimension of the tank, the cut out for the ecotech light bracket, feeding Door, wire cut out. Was send to me as I requested. Kerri was amazing and helpful, good costumer services. I have a year with the lid is still solid. I will buy another from them soon for my new Cade tank. My wrasse is a serious jumper, caught jumping few times lid send it back to the water lol

4975DEFC-1F34-420D-B3D6-8C5861A5361A.jpeg

62FAE471-6233-4E23-ADAF-5E5B3E0EF837.jpeg

Landers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually in the process of making a lid. I bought a bunch of stuff at Lowes last weekend. I have a bowfront so it’s been interesting reading up on how to make diy lid with a curve but hopefully I’ll pull it off. The only fish I have in my tank right now is a pajama cardinal. She hasn’t shown any signs of jumping yet so I’m not too concerned but I’m wanting to get some gobies so I know I definitely need to have a lid made before they go in.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was partly why I was drawn to IM over some of the other AIO tanks - I like the fact a lid comes standard, and it looks pretty sleek too!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small of a gap is acceptable?
I have HOB filter and mesh lid that fits “pretty” well but still one small opening that is maybe 1/2 inch by 1 inch. Does this need to be closed as well?

Very much so! If the head fits, he will split! :p

Rockit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the understanding lids were optional. Fish would randomly go missing but I assumed they perished, but due to tons of rock work and my tank only visible from 1 side (inset into a wall) I would never find the remains.
After seeing a green coris wrasse jump from the tank for no discernable reason, and my 110 lb malamute dog, who regularly slept about 10' away, rush to slurp up the tasty morsel. I know it wasn't the first time that scenario played out. He's (dog) is normally quite hesitant with unknown foods, but here that fish was gone the second he got to it.

Always use a top.

Do any of you DIY people have a source for BLACK netting with 1/4 holes? I've only been able to source white but I think black is far less obtrusive.

OP
OP
Rincon_Reefer

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearviewlids make amazing lids for any type of aquarium. Very firm and steady lids. I got one for my Red Sea 250 I send my dimension of the tank, the cut out for the ecotech light bracket, feeding Door, wire cut out. Was send to me as I requested. Kerri was amazing and helpful, good costumer services. I have a year with the lid is still solid. I will buy another from them soon for my new Cade tank. My wrasse is a serious jumper, caught jumping few times lid send it back to the water lol

4975DEFC-1F34-420D-B3D6-8C5861A5361A.jpeg

62FAE471-6233-4E23-ADAF-5E5B3E0EF837.jpeg
Exact same lid I am getting. Can't wait for it to show up!

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the understanding lids were optional. Fish would randomly go missing but I assumed they perished, but due to tons of rock work and my tank only visible from 1 side (inset into a wall) I would never find the remains.
After seeing a green coris wrasse jump from the tank for no discernable reason, and my 110 lb malamute dog, who regularly slept about 10' away, rush to slurp up the tasty morsel. I know it wasn't the first time that scenario played out. He's (dog) is normally quite hesitant with unknown foods, but here that fish was gone the second he got to it.

Always use a top.

Do any of you DIY people have a source for BLACK netting with 1/4 holes? I've only been able to source white but I think black is far less obtrusive.
I used this from lowes

I'm not sure exactly how wide the mesh is... I think a young watchman or firefish might be able to get through the mesh, but I don't have any fish that I'm worried will get through it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back