Putting uv sterilizer on Display

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im planning on putting a jebao 55w on my 75 gallon tank that will circulate in the display since i heard thats best to combat dinos ( i have ostreopsis). The question is how do you guys put in on the display and what pump do you guys recommend? And wouldnt a pump risk of taking sand inside or do i just leave it hanging in the tank? Its just temporary since i dosed fluconazole on my tank and i anticipate that the dinos are gonna bloom again. Im new to this UV thing and i really dont want to do any fancy plumbing due to space.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot of UV for a 75-gallon. What's your total water volume including sump/filtration?

If you have not purchased the unit yet, I can recommend this unit. I've been running one on a 90-gal tank for nearly a year now.
1601261910620.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's a lot of UV for a 75-gallon. What's your total water volume including sump/filtration?
Sump is 30 gallon so about 100 gallon probably less due to all the rocks. Would a 36w be better for dinos?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is 30 gallon so about 100 gallon probably less due to all the rocks. Would a 36w be better for dinos?
I would recommend a 36-watt running at 250-300 gph flow. That will kill everything effectively over the expected one year lifespan of the bulb and regardless of initial water clarity. It's definitely best if you can direct your return water through the UV (or a portion thereof) to avoid coating/clouding the UV chamber and quartz sleeve. You don't want to be disassembling the UV unit every month to clean it. With it plumbed on the return, you should only have to clean the UV once a year when you replace the bulb.

Side note... Be sure to look at bulb replacement costs when selecting a UV unit. You're going to need a new bulb every year.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend a 36-watt running at 250-300 gph flow. That will kill everything effectively over the expected one year lifespan of the bulb and regardless of initial water clarity. It's definitely best if you can direct your return water through the UV (or a portion thereof) to avoid coating/clouding the UV chamber and quartz sleeve. You don't want to be disassembling the UV unit every month to clean it. With it plumbed on the return, you should only have to clean the UV once a year when you replace the bulb.

Side note... Be sure to look at bulb replacement costs when selecting a UV unit. You're going to need a new bulb every year.
Awesome will this pump be good enough then? And would putting it in the sump be as effective as putting it in the display for dinos? I can technically connect it to my return pump since i got it way stronger then recommend but that will require for me to add more plumbing which i was trying to avoid.

Screenshot_20200927-230624_Amazon Shopping.jpg

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome will this pump be good enough then? And would putting it in the sump be as effective as putting it in the display for dinos?
In the sump should be fine. It will do its UV thing no matter where you place it in the system. The key difference is how much junk deposits in the UV unit itself over time. The mechanically cleaner the water you feed into the UV the longer you go without disassembly and the more effective it remains over time.

Assuming typical head height/rise of roughly 39"/1.0 meter, that pump should move about 150 gph. It may take a few days for the UV to really kick in, but it should get the job done. Slower is always better than faster when it comes to UV pumps, as long as you are turning over the tank at least once per hour.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back