PWM on Profilux 4

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a Profilux 4 and would like to use it to control my DIY LEDs. I've come across the GHL LEDControl4 V2 but this appears to only have 4 channels, even with 2 units, I could only run 6 channels due to there being only 3 L-ports on the profilux, each running 2 channels. I currently run 8 PWM channels across 12 Meanwell LDD drivers. Are there any better ways of doing this or should I continue using my arduino controller for the lights?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently purchased a Profilux 4 and would like to use it to control my DIY LEDs. I've come across the GHL LEDControl4 V2 but this appears to only have 4 channels, even with 2 units, I could only run 6 channels due to there being only 3 L-ports on the profilux, each running 2 channels. I currently run 8 PWM channels across 12 Meanwell LDD drivers. Are there any better ways of doing this or should I continue using my arduino controller for the lights?
JUST looking at the specs there "should" be a way. How complicated that is??
List 6 1-10v outs expandable out to 30 6 (optional 30)

Of course you would need a 1-10v to 5v pwm converter boards.

ALMOST what you need. Frequency is too high for an LDD though (50KHz, 1Khz I believe is max recommended for an ldd
100Hz-1KHz

The LEDController 4 is for constant voltage strips ect.
The LEDControl4 V2 with integrated drivers allows you to dim LED lights, which are operated with a constant voltage such as LED chains that have a series resistor.
Theoretically you could power it with 5v to control LDDS BUT the switching frequency is, in my opinion, a useless 122Hz..
Your Aduino is most likely switching at approx 500Hz. (4XX something)

Next...Digital outputs (need defining) For the 4, 8 optional 64..
Sorry not a REAL help but seems you should be able to expand the pwm outputs.. somehow.

Digital outputs / Switch channels44optional 648 (optional 64)

Barring any further info seems def. easiest keeping the Aduino controller..

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JUST looking at the specs there "should" be a way. How complicated that is??

Of course you would need a 1-10v to 5v pwm converter boards.

ALMOST what you need. Frequency is too high for an LDD though (50KHz, 1Khz I believe is max recommended for an ldd

The LEDController 4 is for constant voltage strips ect.

Theoretically you could power it with 5v to control LDDS BUT the switching frequency is, in my opinion, a useless 122Hz..
Your Aduino is most likely switching at approx 500Hz. (4XX something)

Next...Digital outputs (need defining) For the 4, 8 optional 64..
Sorry not a REAL help but seems you should be able to expand the pwm outputs.. somehow.

Digital outputs / Switch channels44optional 648 (optional 64)

Barring any further info seems def. easiest keeping the Aduino controller..

Appreciate the detailed response. Having read through as much information as I could find, I think you're right, it may just be harder than it's worth. Seems a shame because this is certainly something that I would expect the Profilux to be able to do.

I guess I could still use some functionality of the Profilux by either using voltage dividers between the Profilux and the Arduino to read the 1-10V and convert to PWM, meaning the Arduino simply translates the signal and works in a "dumb" mode. I could use the Profilux to just switch the Arduino on and off so the Arduino doesn't a RTC or Wifi. I could use multiple switching signals from the Profilux to trigger different presets (e.g. using 2 signals where 00, 01, 10 and 11 represent different light modes). Lots of options, but not the one I was hoping for.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the detailed response. Having read through as much information as I could find, I think you're right, it may just be harder than it's worth. Seems a shame because this is certainly something that I would expect the Profilux to be able to do.

I guess I could still use some functionality of the Profilux by either using voltage dividers between the Profilux and the Arduino to read the 1-10V and convert to PWM, meaning the Arduino simply translates the signal and works in a "dumb" mode. I could use the Profilux to just switch the Arduino on and off so the Arduino doesn't a RTC or Wifi. I could use multiple switching signals from the Profilux to trigger different presets (e.g. using 2 signals where 00, 01, 10 and 11 represent different light modes). Lots of options, but not the one I was hoping for.
There are these...BUT there may be a Profilux catch..

Still only gives you 6 channels..unless there are other 1-10v ports somewhere.
This verbage was on the search BUT not at Steves..

Driver 0-10V Interface Harness for Steve's LEDs Digital Drivers and Meanwell LDD drivers. ... This is not compatible with Profilux controllers.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta remember that the Profilux is designed to work with it's own family of gear, and there are lots of obstacles in the path of getting it to work with any DIY products.

I simply use it for general tank monitoring and control and for anything outside of that DIY with PIC chips/atmega or use the app's that come with the third party device.

You're on a path to frustration :)

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta remember that the Profilux is designed to work with it's own family of gear, and there are lots of obstacles in the path of getting it to work with any DIY products.

I simply use it for general tank monitoring and control and for anything outside of that DIY with PIC chips/atmega or use the app's that come with the third party device.

You're on a path to frustration :)
Yeah, I think you're right. Part of the reason I went with Profilux was because I was told it was more DIY friendly but I'm finding that it's pretty limited when trying to connect to anything that isn't GHL unless it's just a 240V unit that just connects to a power strip outlet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back