Pygmy angel spot/wound under fin

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this morning this spot on the fish showed up. It wasn’t there yesterday. I’m guessing it’s a scrape he might have gotten while foraging or getting into cover when I startled him. I was just wondering if there’s anything to do to prevent infection and help it heal faster. Thanks!
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2123.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, this morning this spot on the fish showed up. It wasn’t there yesterday. I’m guessing it’s a scrape he might have gotten while foraging or getting into cover when I startled him. I was just wondering if there’s anything to do to prevent infection and help it heal faster. Thanks!
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2123.jpeg

How long have you had this fish?
What other fish are in with it?

The pictures are a bit fuzzy (I know, it is tough to get good pictures). It could be just a small injury, but it could also be the start of Uronema (more commonly seen in newly acquired fish). Here is an article about that:

Jay

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pictures are a bit fuzzy (I know, it is tough to get good pictures). It could be just a small injury, but it could also be the start of Uronema (more commonly seen in newly acquired fish). Here is an article about that:

Jay
I got it 2 days ago... I really hope its not uronema

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Don't the sores usually start off as red though?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree on a minor injury which should heal on its own and often happens on new fish from netting at place of purchase and fish getting startled and nicking itself.
However keep an eye on area and have on hand if it becomes needed- Seachem Kanaplex. I dont see uronema as a candidate for this spot

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, they turn red after they break the surface and can look white before then.
Jay
There was no mark there when I turned the lights off last night. I don't think a uronema spot can attain that size overnight

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was no mark there when I turned the lights off last night. I don't think a uronema spot can attain that size overnight

Uronema grows hidden, below the fish's skin. Then, the infection erupts on the surface and the lesion shows up pretty much in just a few hours, first white, and the open and red.

This may not be Uronema, the pics just aren't clear enough to say, but the timeline adds up.

Jay

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema grows hidden, below the fish's skin. Then, the infection erupts on the surface and the lesion shows up pretty much in just a few hours, first white, and the open and red.

This may not be Uronema, the pics just aren't clear enough to say, but the timeline adds up.

Jay
Hey, so the wound has stayed white the next day and has gotten less "blunt" or more "clean" (I can't translate the term I have in my head to english) So I'm leaning towards a scrape.

It's also smaller

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so the wound has stayed white the next day and has gotten less "blunt" or more "clean" (I can't translate the term I have in my head to english) So I'm leaning towards a scrape.

It's also smaller

Yes, true Uronema does not reduce in size - ever.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back