Pyramid Butterfly ... Do you have one?

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All -

So in an effort to rid my tank of BCPs and some xenia I was looking into some treatment options and other options as well, and with the help of some other reefers on here and treatment options like Fluke tabs (which you cant get anymore obviously) and other dog type deworming agents I am looking into some other possible options to see if they work. One of which is the Pyramid Butterfly which I have heard that these fish may eat xenias and BCPs. I have heard from one or two other reefers on the 'net that there Pyramids did indeed eat these.

So I was wondering if anyone else who has had these fish has ever experienced this. Thank and looking forward to hearing from users who have had this fish.

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No butterfly can be good in reef tank,they eat every thing

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,reef safe thats what said about it, butterfly!!!!! i dont think so

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told, also researched, that pyramids ARE reef safe. Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish (although does sound contradicting as I am wondering if it EATS xenia)

They are fairly reef safe. Planktivores by nature...You can keep a harem if you have a large tank...

But you never know...

I kept one for 2 years. Always hungry, Always. One day I fed my brain. The butterfly picked up on it and snatched the food up. From that day on, he always nipped at the brain. Since he was quite big by then, his nips were damaging. I had to sell him off.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No butterfly can be good in reef tank,they eat every thing

This is not entirely true. I have known several reefers personally that have kept pyramid butterflies in their reef tanks with years of success. These were mostly SPS tanks, but at least one of them had clams/LPS as well.

I have no personal experience with them and don't know anything about their tendencies towards blue clove polyps or Xenia however. My advice would be to not stock a fish simply to take care of a perceived problem of that animal is not a desired part of the overall stocking plan for the tank. And, as always, make sure to research all livestock additions prior to purchase.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the yellow pyramid, they are reef safe, but I don't have those softies. No nipping on zoa or gorg that I have seen though.
IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to not stock a fish simply to take care of a perceived problem of that animal is not a desired part of the overall stocking plan for the tank. And, as always, make sure to research all livestock additions prior to purchase.
I totally agree with you. :smile: I always wanted to have some Angels, but was under the impression they were not reef safe. Then I read some stuff about the Pyramids, and I would love to get one. it just so happens I do have a problem with Xenia and BCPs so I thought it was a good coincidence that this is how I found out about them.

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is no need to have any fish with douts,,,my friend have a purple tang eats soft corals,so butterfly!!!!!!
Even with a good behavior at the beginning,just watch it my friend

yazeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a biocoler angel,at the first month she was awsomne and then just a littel wicked fish was eats soft corals like candy

Spike-Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a pair for years, very good citizen in my 180. I have mixed reef with clams too and never a issue. I don't have zenia, so can't help there. Note, these fish are sometimes hard to find for sale.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Pyramids are considered reef safe.....I have never heard from anybody that keeps them say any different. There diet in the wild consists entirely of plankton. Of course you can get a rouge Pyramid that nips at coral but you can say that about any fish. I had to remove a Lubbock's Wrasse for picking at my LPS.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a trio in my tank as we speak. I may be one of your 'sources' because I have noted elsewhere that these fish cleared my tank of xenia and blue clove polyps within a week of being introduced. They haven't touched anything else. Not the easiest fish to acclimate though, as they tend to get mouth infections during shipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a trio in my tank as we speak. I may be one of your 'sources' because I have noted elsewhere that these fish cleared my tank of xenia and blue clove polyps within a week of being introduced. They haven't touched anything else. Not the easiest fish to acclimate though, as they tend to get mouth infections during shipping.
yes quite possible. I was interested in hearing if this was the norm for these fish or if others had the same thing happen to them. I always wanted to have a few butterflies but was under the general impression the eat and nip at other corals. Good to see that these are pretty safe and if by chance they did eat some BCPs then all the better! Also thanks for the heads up on the acclimation!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned two of these fish over the last few years. Both were 100% model citizens in my mixed reef 180. I had Zoas, Softies, LPS and lots of SPS. never once did it exhibit any nipping or adverse behavior. I also had anemonees and Aptasia, neither of which it cared for. They are planktonivores and in my opinion, are reef safe. I would not hesitate to get another but my tank is too small. They are swimmers and need a good long tank to be truly happy. Very good eaters and easy to acclimate.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 4 of those since close to a year, and lost two of them.fee m in nths back. They haven't touched anything. A few experimented reefers have warned me about them but still wanted them. I'm quarantining one and will add one more to go back to four and they added lots of color to the tank and schooled nicely.

Back