Pyramid Butterfly

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just got one of these in. It's a very nice fish and from reading up on it, its supposed to be one of the reef safest butterflies. Anyone here have any experience with one?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three I've encountered in reefs all ended up picking at corals.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience, long as was feed heavly was ok but I cut back on the food for
algae reasons and it became a menace.

JR,

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience, long as was feed heavly was ok but I cut back on the food for
algae reasons and it became a menace.

JR,

I would contend that your particular fish would have picked eventually regardless of how well it was fed. Keep in mind these fish forage around and pick at food constantly in nature. Feed it 5 times a day and it'll still wanty to eat.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contend that your particular fish would have picked eventually regardless of how well it was fed. Keep in mind these fish forage around and pick at food constantly in nature. Feed it 5 times a day and it'll still wanty to eat.

I agree. I have never seen a totally reef safe fish. Even the percs I have now one will go over to the candy cane coral and suck on one of the heads for a while but never seems to cause any damage. This is not an exaggeration every fish I have ever had has picked on or eatin coral eventually, no matter how reef safe it was supposed to be period.

JR,

OP
OP
Pitcom

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I have never seen a totally reef safe fish. Even the percs I have now one will go over to the candy cane coral and suck on one of the heads for a while but never seems to cause any damage. This is not an exaggeration every fish I have ever had has picked on or eatin coral eventually, no matter how reef safe it was supposed to be period.

JR,

My female Percula likes to bite the tips off of my orange torch coral. I have no idea why she does this but she loves it. She spits it out and will chase it arond the tank for an hour or so like its a game.

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus most of the fish eat constantly, the more food there is the more they eat even if the food isn't necessary for survival and their stomach is full, they just don't process it fully and excreet partially eaten food which other fish eat. Plus the coral also benefit from this behavior by catching pieces of partially eaten food and oils to include amino acids and stuff.

JR,

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them for years and they never touched any coral in my tank. I only got rid of them as my new tank is too small.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 77 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.7%
Back