QT aquaculture? Is it really neccessary?

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know where people stand on this. I am going to be trying to go mostly aquacultured. Since the animals are not wild isn't there a GREATLY reduced chance that they would introduce anything into the tank?

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to know where people stand on this. I am going to be trying to go mostly aquacultured. Since the animals are not wild isn't there a GREATLY reduced chance that they would introduce anything into the tank?

This is one of those touchy questions that everyone has an option. Personally i have never used a QT tank. I havent had very many issues without it but guaranteed that there are definitely pros to having one. Buying aquacultured would probably reduce the risk but you still have to worry about what tank it is coming from and what they might have.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability, it's always better to QT. It only takes once to lose everything.

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be QTing whether they are aquacultured or not. Unfortunately there are no barriers to pests and problems. QTing is a pain but it is worth it in the end.. better than accidently combing your tank.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it's worse!!!! I have seen more pests past around in local clubs then ever buying wild stuff!!!! Quarantine is a must!!!

Really?? I would have never guessed. Is this for fish or coral? I have a qt set up, but was thinking that I could get away with not putting the aquacultured fish through it.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was mainly talking about fish with that post. I apologize, I should have been more clear. Just didn't want to go through the whole 8 week process. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got cha.... I know right now of a tank infested "aefw" in my local club and he still buys corals and sells frags to the people in the club.... Shame on him!!!!!! He supposedly took care of the problem with a turkey baster...NOT!!!!!!!! beware when buying from locals....;)

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kindof (or a TOTAL) bummer! Total shame. Cuz that is one of the more exciting aspect for me to get into this hobby, the trading. :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's bad news... With fish I purchase them and have the Lfs hold it in there tank for a week or 2 and make sure all is well... I guess that's my quarantine lol.... Corals are another story if you wanna trade and stuff go for it but have a 10gal or so on deck for quarantine.... I know a few people in club with aefw they went public about it which is cool but newbs don't know any difference... I hear people say well I only have 2 sticks and now I buy zoos only etc... There was a tank of the month on Rc and fellow member who lost his tank to aefw that hitch hiked on a zoa frag.... No glove no love!!!! Be careful..... The worst I have found and wild piece I have bought is acro crabs good and bad but never found a single aefw on any acros.... Stuff I have bought from people ouch!!!!! I have ran across aefw a few times... Normally I just throw the piece away unless it's expensive I will try to save it.... I don't need my quarantine filled with pests either or its useless....;)

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the "going public" with it! Like that makes it ok haha. Definately takes the responsibility off them though.

I will be doing my purchases online though, so I should just QT. I was just hoping that with the aquacultured I could get away with not doing it. I have a 20g for fish and a 10 with pc for corals. So I have absolutely no excuse (read lazy) for not doing it.

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip corals but have never QTed... guess it's cause I'm lazy?

Real quick... whats afew?

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is actually aefw not afew. :) acro eating flatworms, from what I understand you don't want em. I also understand that Intercepter kills them, if you have access to that.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, I got aiptasia, flatworms and nusiance introduced into my tank through coral swapping and not doing due diligence with dipping or QT ("oh, I know this person, and I trust them :squigglemouth:") Aiptasia appears to finally be erradicated and aggressively pursuing the flatworms and nusiance algae at this time. Some of the worst Hair algae infested frags I've ever gotten have been ordered from fellow hobbiests online.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya typo sorry... Interceptor is for red bugs that's another pest!!!! Aefw are the worst and the only thing that kills them is dips in revive etc but it don't touch there eggs and each egg cluster has hundreds.... Bad news man...

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! Sorry, didn't mean to put mis-information out there. Thanks for the clarification.

I know I felt bad, one of the only reefers that I actually know within driving distance offered to give me some LR to get me started on my cycle. I was telling him about a lfs I visited with a shocking amount of aiptasia and he brushed it off as normal and I got the impression that he has some in his tank. Let's just say I will politely be declining the offer. :(

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thread is completely derailed now hahah. I was planning to get rock from TBS, I just want lots of critters. I know that I will have to qt the rock for probably 8 weeks and trap stuff off it, but I think it will be cool and a bit of "what's going to happen now" aspect to it that is exciting.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back