QT Everything Wet...Even Pods And Macroalgae?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already subscribed to the "Everything wet" gets QT'd before going into my DT, so this is not a debate on that matter.

I am however curious on pods and Macro algae for my refugium. I know they are wet, but am I supposed to QT them and if so how? What if any risk do they bring with them? How do you experts out there handle adding Pods and Macro algae?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you get them from. Some companies practice strict quaranatine procedures to prevent fish-borne or other parasites from getting into them. Those you can probably just put straight into your tank, but it's a pretty short list of companies, I can only think of 2 or three off the top of my head.

If you are getting Macro and pods from your LFS (and it's not one of the trusted companies) then definitely QT them.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you get them from. Some companies practice strict quaranatine procedures to prevent fish-borne or other parasites from getting into them. Those you can probably just put straight into your tank, but it's a pretty short list of companies, I can only think of 2 or three off the top of my head.

If you are getting Macro and pods from your LFS (and it's not one of the trusted companies) then definitely QT them.

And I have no problem QTing them, but is there a process outlined somewhere? I assume it's the same as Inverts and Coral that I just put them in a tank without fish for 72, (I do 75) days, but what do I feed them? Or do I feed them? And when done do I dump them into the refugium water and all?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have no problem QTing them, but is there a process outlined somewhere? I assume it's the same as Inverts and Coral that I just put them in a tank without fish for 72, (I do 75) days, but what do I feed them? Or do I feed them? And when done do I dump them into the refugium water and all?

Firstly, so you are talking about copepods right, and not macro algae? Second, where is your source for the copepods? You only need to QT them if it's not coming from Reef Nutrition, Algae Barn and a few other places that people can enumerate.

You QT macroalgae just like inverts/corals and can even do a coral dip if you want.
QT copepods is tricky and I haven't seen anyone do it... that said, if you can set up a 2.5gal tank with a light and a cheap filter, you can QT them the same as any inverts. Just let them populate that small tank.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, so you are talking about copepods right, and not macro algae? Second, where is your source for the copepods? You only need to QT them if it's not coming from Reef Nutrition, Algae Barn and a few other places that people can enumerate.

You QT macroalgae just like inverts/corals and can even do a coral dip if you want.
QT copepods is tricky and I haven't seen anyone do it... that said, if you can set up a 2.5gal tank with a light and a cheap filter, you can QT them the same as any inverts. Just let them populate that small tank.

I was talking about both. Don't they both need nutrients from the water and fish waste to survive? I was planning on getting both from my LFS and I know the algae shares the water with one row of about 20 or so tanks of fish for sale. The pods are in a separate system that does not share water with anything else, but I don't know where the pods come from and where the water comes from. One of the tanks is green so I am assuming there is Phytoplankton in it.

I was planning on using a 5 gallon for both the pods and the algae and already have an AI Prime Refugium light I can use. I was just wondering what to use for a filter? Do I worry about cycling the tank, (not sure if ammonia or nitrite are a concern or not)? What do I feed them or is the algae, Phytoplankton and light all they need?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about both. Don't they both need nutrients from the water and fish waste to survive? I was planning on getting both from my LFS and I know the algae shares the water with one row of about 20 or so tanks of fish for sale. The pods are in a separate system that does not share water with anything else, but I don't know where the pods come from and where the water comes from. One of the tanks is green so I am assuming there is Phytoplankton in it.

I was planning on using a 5 gallon for both the pods and the algae and already have an AI Prime Refugium light I can use. I was just wondering what to use for a filter? Do I worry about cycling the tank, (not sure if ammonia or nitrite are a concern or not)? What do I feed them or is the algae, Phytoplankton and light all they need?

Yes the tank will need something to cycle it. The chaeto will help to quickly reduce ammonia, and there won't be much in there. You can either use an air driven sponge filter or like a Deep Blue Biomaxx Nano. It's virtually the same thing one would do to cycle a freshwater tank, use established media from your DT. Feed the copepods about 0.5ml to 1ml of phytoplankton a day and just make sure the water is looking a little green/hazey and make sure the chaeto is producing bubbles from respiration (not dying). The copepods will multiply and by the end of the QT you will have a ton more than you started with

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank will need something to cycle it. The chaeto will help to quickly reduce ammonia, and there won't be much in there. You can either use an air driven sponge filter or like a Deep Blue Biomaxx Nano. It's virtually the same thing one would do to cycle a freshwater tank, use established media from your DT. Feed the copepods about 0.5ml to 1ml of phytoplankton a day and just make sure the water is looking a little green/hazey and make sure the chaeto is producing bubbles from respiration (not dying). The copepods will multiply and by the end of the QT you will have a ton more than you started with
Great! Thanks for the advice!!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 103 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back