OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using a blacked-out/reflective, conical false bottom with slits, similar to the classic guppy breeder traps?
Gave this more thought and I believe this would be simpler to implement. An acrylic false bottom drilled with holes similar to an old school wet dry then plumbed underneath to export detritus and pathogens. However, similar panels would need to be used to separate the individual compartments otherwise flooding in any could occur. Flow below has to be fast enough to reduce cross contamination although if designed properly that contamination would be brief enough to avoid infecting compartment mates.

Alternatively, could have just one compartment per filtration unit and just put compatible specimens together. For the hobbyists this would be best to implant plus gives them time to evaluate compatibility of chosen inhabitants before introduction into the DT then having the dreadful task of removing a bad actor. Would be more cost effective to implement and maintain for commercial operations, as well.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some further thought on going to single compartment then would adding a wave maker to keep detritus and pathogens suspended not be more practical? Plumbing options no longer need drilling. Less complicated execution and now the only issue is identifying dead spots which can be remedied with how those pumps are placed along with adding multiples as well as the effluent from the filtration. Using other than glass so that rounded corners are an option would make the process more efficient at quicker turnovers. Some form of slick plastic that prevents adhesion. Would require perhaps periodic wiping to keep slick. This would be needed regardless of material used.

Did an experiment on my test tank with food coloring and a Magnum Polishing internal canister with 16 aproximate tank volume and carbon. That food coloring tinted the water completely and allowed to run for a day before adding the filter. It was completely removed and water crystal clear next morning. Pump delivers 290 gph but let's assume that's empty and with media it would be slower. Plus if I recall correctly, approximately 100% tank turnover occurs near 9x pump gph to system volume.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found filter housing by US Water Systems that has a screw in cartridge to eliminate bypass. These canisters are similar to the Big Blue filters used for whole house filtration. The sediment cartridge filter down to 0.50 microns nominally which estimates 85% capture at that size or larger. Granted as it gets full then it will filter out smaller particles.

I'm still trying to find out exactly how large are the swimming stage. Anybody? They also have 1, 5, 10 and 20 micron cartridges in this double O ring seal configuration plus they make these canisters with the double open end that can utilize larger micron size for step down setup. Goal is to have a biological prefilter to capture and decompose detritus although I'm still working on that design. Probably a mix bed of pumice and/or glass beads to allow the capture of larger detritus yet allow most of it to decompose prior to entering the cartridges. Assumption being that by mixing the various sizes then that will increase surface area by reducing the voids from larger pieces yet still have large enough voids to reduce clogging as nature does it's thing. This biological prefilter will have to be substantial to keep from clogging and something I'm already testing plus have in the past. If needed, I can have a step down process of that as well.

If the smallest micron cartridge can capture free swimming stage yet allow autotrophic and heterotrophic bacteria to pass then I'm considering this as not just a QT solution but also for my main display. Why I'm trying to size the smallest micron cartridge to be small enough but not too small, if possible. I'll have manifolds to split the water so that carbon blocks can be used as well yet those are rated at only 6 GPM. Still checking if that's strictly for chloramine removal (not needed for QT or DT).

I'm also looking to use something similar for make up water as I'm not one of those sold on needing RODI living in an area where my tap is city filtered and hourly monitored as well as containing high amounts of calcium and magnessium. Goal is to eliminate chloramines, bacteria and viruses for that application. Not looking to do WC therefore top off all this will satisfy. Still waiting to see if my city water has flourides and to what extent. Anything below or equal to NSW and I'm good to go. Above and i'll need to do some research on how else to remove that.

US Water Systems Magna Canister.PNG

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At around the 13 minute mark they are talking about this concept I’m suggesting. :thinking-face:

Back