QT New Corals?

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I just picked up 4 corals from a guys tank in my local area. It looked like his tank may have ich and it didn't look well cared for. I got 3 species of Montipora and one Frag of candy cane. How should I go about this? Coral dip then QT in a fishless tank for the 73 days or.....? Also, I got a BRS Reactor; used. Proper method for cleaning it? Thanks guys!

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Qt all new corals even if they look clean. I never Qt my corals till one day I found AEFW and after beating them with a QT. I QT every new coral.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's calcium buildup on the reactor you can soak it in a vinegar solution for a few hours and then brush or scrub off any buildup. Rinse with tap water and you'll be good to go.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dip corals in a s.w and iodine (loguls) solution and i never had a problem. After doing it sometimes youll see dead hitchhikers on the bottom of the bucket.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to qt my last bunch of corals in a new qt coral tank. 10 gal. Had nothing but trouble with the egg crate getting disgusting, the rubble rock icky (under ec) and flow issues. I replaced EC with rock and live sand. Still trouble. Came to conclusion that a 10 gal just can't be stable with flow. I removed my corals and scrubbed them with a toothbrush. Used straight peroxide on all plugs--not on corals--put the zoas and palys in a 4 to 1 peroxide bath as they were smothering iwth algae or icky gunk. They are in my main tank, and most are doing well. A couple haven't opened and I hope I wasn't too late. I may try qt'ing again with a larger dedicated frag tank with proper equipment including a protein skimmer. Hated losing 4 of them

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dip corals in a s.w and iodine (loguls) solution and i never had a problem. After doing it sometimes youll see dead hitchhikers on the bottom of the bucket.
Iodide to water mix? I have some of that Vibrant brand iodide stuff. Is that what you're talking about?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two power heads in there. First go around, one pointed to the bottom to go under EC and after I changed it, one of either side. Rock was dry and not cured and tank not cycled, although no am, no nitrites and little nitrates Debating keeping it running or taking it down to use as a hospital tank if need be.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodide to water mix? I have some of that Vibrant brand iodide stuff. Is that what you're talking about?
yes. I dont remember the mix ratio. I just looked it up on either 3reef, or thereeftank. It was x amount of drops per gallon of saltwater. In the future though im just going to use coral rx. Seems to be well regarded now.

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely quarantine your corals, no matter the source. Weekly dips and observation and you'll be fine.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back