QT nitrite ISSUE please help

Carl C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am tying to set up a QT tank , i am using Dr tims one and only and his ammonia drops ; the ammonia is gone (zero) problem is the nitrite is very high yesterday it was 16 today its 14 ; so yes its on the decline ; but my fear is the paragraph (below) from Dr tims site ; he says high nitrite (above) 5 mg/L can poison nitrite-oxidizing bacteria ; my meter reads in PPM but on line conversion says 14 PPM is same as 14 mg/L ; again is the fear that i am poisoning nitrite-oxidizing bacteria
please give thoughts
thanks

DR TIMS QUOTE
"Nitrite does not spike until somewhere between days 14 and 20. You want to be careful adding more ammonia because you do not want the nitrite-nitrogen over 5 mg/L as this will start to poison the nitrite-oxidizing bacteria. Add a little ammonia every few days (1/4 dose), making sure the nitrite does not go above 5 mg/L. Once you start to see the nitrite decrease, it will drop pretty fast"

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. If you initially dosed as directed, and added minimal ammonia source after, you will be fine. Your nitrite is on the decline just like it's supposed to do. Give it a few more days and then test again. Your tank is well on its way to cycling correctly from the sounds of this and your other post.

Once your nitrite is processed, go ahead and dose the ammonia up to 2ppm again and see if it will clear to zero in 24hrs...not during about the nitrite values at that point.

Back