QT or Straight to DT

hit_the_gap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
i am looking for some thoughts.....
about a week ago a buddy of mine purchased a golden angelfish along with some other fish (purple tang, butterfly, and mag foxface) from an online vender. Ive been eyeing the golden angels for some time and so when he got the fish, i went over to take a look. we sat around and drank a few while the fish drip acclimated and after an hour or so, he took the angel out and placed it in his display tank, but put the other new fish in his QT. when i questioned him about it, his justification was that the DT is more established than his QT and that the angel has a better chance of survival with all the rocks/algae/pods/etc. What do you all think? I understand he potentially infected his DT, but does the fish stand a better chance going right into the DT?

Note, i QT all my fish.

Trev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the type of fish. My pipefish went directly into my display, as it has more microfauna and pods for them to eat.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I had a crash due to ich 3 years ago, I've quarantined EVERY fish added. Haven't lost one since. Worth the effort!

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if he was going to do that mind as well not quarantine the other fish. What's the point?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true that for delicate fish an established tank loaded with micro fauna might be best for delicate fish but again as stated counterproductive from a quarantine aspect.
I converted one of my fish quarantine into an introduction tank so it gets sand bed, rocks macro alga and I allow algae to grow on back glass as well. which makes it as good as a DT with only bad aspect is it being smaller. delicate fish go there for extended time to observe for disease and if symptoms are there then fish moves to QT for treatment. no right or wrong way about it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back