QT Protocol for new fish?

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if someone could layout the process for a quarantining a new fish? Do I just observe for diseases and parasites while they're in the QT then treat them with something, or should I start a treatment even if they're fine?

Just need some clarification so I don't make any mistakes.

I read the QT protocol on sick fish in the Disease forum but just wanted to double check what the process with new fish straight from an LFS or online was.

Nevermind. I found the QT thread!

Last edited:

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had doubts about QT tanks, both with the water chemistry and the medication process, later I learned that a QT tank and a hospital tank are different things, it rules out diseases in the quarantine tanks and eliminates diseases in the hospital tank.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if someone could layout the process for a quarantining a new fish? Do I just observe for diseases and parasites while they're in the QT then treat them with something, or should I start a treatment even if they're fine?

Just need some clarification so I don't make any mistakes.

I read the QT protocol on sick fish in the Disease forum but just wanted to double check what the process with new fish straight from an LFS or online was.

Nevermind. I found the QT thread!
good call on the redaction
SimpleNimbleGreatdane-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had doubts about QT tanks, both with the water chemistry and the medication process, later I learned that a QT tank and a hospital tank are different things, it rules out diseases in the quarantine tanks and eliminates diseases in the hospital tank.
Yeah I had to learn the hard way by losing all my fish in my DT because of not QT'ing. Never taking a chance again lol. I got a 40gal quarantine and a 10gallon hospital tank setup. I have a fluval 13.5 that I can tear down once my red sea gets here and use it as a second hospital or QT tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back