QT Question

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to set up a QT as I would like to start adding fish in the next 4 weeks or so. My QT will be a basic 10g tank with a biowheel filter and heater, no substrate just a couple of large PVC. If I will be using water from my Main Tank to fill it and I place the biowheel in my sump for a few days, how long will I need to give the QT to "cycle" before I can add a fish to it?

jerry26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if youre filling it with water from your dt, it may not cycle at all. youll have to test to know for certain where the parameters stand. but i figure 2-3 weeks would be a safe enough assumption if you refuse to test.

OP
OP
TexAgReefer

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if youre filling it with water from your dt, it may not cycle at all. youll have to test to know for certain where the parameters stand. but i figure 2-3 weeks would be a safe enough assumption if you refuse to test.
I'll definitely test it. Was going to get one of those ammonia alert things you put in the tank as well just to help see if the levels get high.

My other question is when I don't have fish in the QT, should I drop some food in there occasionally to feed the bacteria? I'll be putting the biowheel in the sump for seeding purposes at first, but once I have put a fish in there, I won't ever transfer something other than the fish back to the DT.

justgotwet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tested the water in the dt then you will not need to test again. Just make sure the qt tank is the same temp as the dt tank.

jerry26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea youll want to feed it every now and then with nothing in it otherwise an ammonia spike will be triggered very easily when you add livestock.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back