Qt question

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just curious

If someone has never quarantined there fish, say 6 months or 1 year into it and never had a problem

Then they decide they want to start quarantining for whatever reason

Would there be any point to start quarantining from then onwards

Or would it mean they dont have any diseases because theyve been lucky that nothing has shown up

This is completely hypothetical

How long would u say it safe to say your fish are ich/velvet etc free if you never quarantined in the past

Or can it show up after years randomly

Sqwertyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point of quarantining fish is to prevent the addition of disease and parasites into your tank when adding new livestock, or for treating a fish that has fallen ill for some reason or another.

Ich in my understanding never goes away if you've had it in the tank before and have not gone fallow for certain length of time, or treated the tank with something like copper.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong there, but if your fish show no signs of ich or velvet after the length of time you describe then quarantine would be reserved for new additions, behavioral or fish becoming I'll to something different.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking of people that havnt quarantined
Then learnt about it after they are already established, then started quarantining from then onwards

Or even the guys that just do observational qt

If ich etc can be masked by a healthy fish then observational qt would be pointless if the disease/ parasite would be there without a prophylactic treatment, would it not ?

Sqwertyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a whole list of diseases and the point of quarantine is to prevent an additional disease to the tank, or better yet to ensure a healthy fish is added.

I see your point, and I have only experienced ich in the freshwater scene (knock on wood) and if it's at all the same, I had ich visibly dissappear only to reappear months and months after with no addition of fish.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B's tank is 50 years old and never quarantined a single thing. Mine is 2 years and I haven't yet either.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul helped me out when I started my tank like he runs his

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul helped me out when I started my tank like he runs his

Its so strange though because ive heard so many people get their tanks wiped out from ick or velvet etc

But yeh was honestly just curious about if someone never quarantined then decided to start
Would there be any point to it
Can ick stay under the radar for say 2 years then pop up randomly
Because if that is the case, then observational qt would be pointless im assuming

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying that. Quarantine is a proven method. My next tank I will most likely follow much stricter measures. However with this one I haven't quarantined anything. I even went to 3 different LFS and purchased live rock and substrate just to diversify my tank as much as possible.

OP
OP
P

Piece of reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying that. Quarantine is a proven method. My next tank I will most likely follow much stricter measures. However with this one I haven't quarantined anything. I even went to 3 different LFS and purchased live rock and substrate just to diversify my tank as much as possible.
That was a good read, only got 128 pages left lol

Thanks for sharing it

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back