Qt question

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to salt, have 14 freshwater tanks. I have been reading / watching all the videos I can find on QT. In a nut shell it appears you need 2 tanks: 1 for fish to treat with copper and 1 for corals / cuc to sit and let possible disease life cycles run its course (ich). Does that about some it up?

wife and I were discussing how, FW included, everyone preaches water quality, but as soon as you throw meds (primarily bacteria) in a tank, your biological filtration takes a nose dive. Have watched it happen multiple times, ammonia spikes and the game begins to keep it under control / recycle filter. I run a central air supply, so I always have lots of sponge filters cycling in tanks, but now I am getting ready to start my saltwater livestock. I have a handle on the fish portion, but the coral / cuc tank is another story. If I use another 20g tank and let them cook for 76days, that negates the reason I setup a larger tank for stability? Also I would need another light capable of keeping the corals healthy.
Am I missing something here? My DT is finishing up it’s cycle, but now I have to keep the cycle alive while I Qt everything for my the first stocking. Maybe I’ll acclimate a copy Molly’s for it while I wait.
thanks
shane

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to avoid disease yes coral QT and fish QT.
I always have 2 fish QT tanks on hand so i can transfer @ 14 days of copper instead of having to run 30 days.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to salt, have 14 freshwater tanks. I have been reading / watching all the videos I can find on QT. In a nut shell it appears you need 2 tanks: 1 for fish to treat with copper and 1 for corals / cuc to sit and let possible disease life cycles run its course (ich). Does that about some it up?

wife and I were discussing how, FW included, everyone preaches water quality, but as soon as you throw meds (primarily bacteria) in a tank, your biological filtration takes a nose dive. Have watched it happen multiple times, ammonia spikes and the game begins to keep it under control / recycle filter. I run a central air supply, so I always have lots of sponge filters cycling in tanks, but now I am getting ready to start my saltwater livestock. I have a handle on the fish portion, but the coral / cuc tank is another story. If I use another 20g tank and let them cook for 76days, that negates the reason I setup a larger tank for stability? Also I would need another light capable of keeping the corals healthy.
Am I missing something here? My DT is finishing up it’s cycle, but now I have to keep the cycle alive while I Qt everything for my the first stocking. Maybe I’ll acclimate a copy Molly’s for it while I wait.
thanks
shane
Seachem Ammonia Alert Accessory | Petco I slap one of those on and water changes as needed, the filter sponge does a decent job but it's not perfect. The mollys are a great idea, they will keep the cycle alive and when you move everyone from the QT they will be the first to get sick if you missed something.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back