QT Question

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 29g tank up and running empty with some sand and live rock. I'm not planning to get fish or softies/LPS until at least 4 weeks from when I get the dry rock in (sometime later this week in all likelihood).

However

I don't have a lot of room to work with and even less space for stands (though I might be able to rework my desk to allow for something small - what do you do for a QT? Would a 10 gallon suffice? what do you do for set up water? Pull some out of the DT? What are the minimum requirements for a QT, especially since it'll need to get taken down and sanitized between uses?

I'm running on a budget, so QT even for new fish to a new tank seems like a worth while risk avoidance measurement. Do you QT coral as well?

Thanks!!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it's great that you're thinking so carefully about QT. Given your setup and being relatively new to the hobby, I'd suggest going as simple as possible. For fish, I'd recommend buy pre-quarantined fish (for example, from Dr. Reef). For corals, I personally don't quarantine them---I just do a CoralRx dip. However, that's how I ended up with a vermetid infestation. Anyway, a 10G would be fine for a quarantine. Just fit it with a cheap hang-on-back filter, a heater, and a cheap LED aquarium light. For your main tank (and your QT), there's no need to wait for them to cycle like in the old days. Just pour in some biospira or other good bacteria starter and you're good to go (as long as your temp, salinity, etc. are stable)!

OP
OP
fiddledragon

fiddledragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would take this time to allow it to cycle "the old way" in order to specifically watch for stability and ensure that those are good :) [Ie I'd rather practice and get into good habits when there's nothing living on the line!] That being said, that sounds like a good plan for the QT! Thanks!

(FWIW - I'm new to saltwater, but was pretty cautious with freshwater, too)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the qt with a 10 gallon, HOB filter, and heater. I’d also add a sponge filter, it both helps add current and extra bio filtration. You can use Pvc for hiding places.
Dipping corals would suffice, that’s all I do. In a perfect world I’d qt coral but just don’t have the space for another setup. Though if I end up upgrading I’d use the old tank for coral qt.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with what others have said.
Personally, I use 10g for my QT tanks... currently have 2 set up, one QT and one hospital.
HOB filter, 50 w heater, and a sponge filter with air pump for extra aeration. Couple PVC elbows to give fish a place to hide and a thermometer.
You can use foam for the media. I use foam and matrix that has been "steeped" in the sump. You could do the same using Microbacter7 and soak them in tank water for a week or so.
QTs are un-cycled, so fresh salt water will suffice. (If you have your main tank running, then use that water).

Pick up some Seachem stability (or similar bacteria in a bottle) and a ammonia badge.
Keep it simple is the best advice.

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 29g tank up and running empty with some sand and live rock. I'm not planning to get fish or softies/LPS until at least 4 weeks from when I get the dry rock in (sometime later this week in all likelihood).

However

I don't have a lot of room to work with and even less space for stands (though I might be able to rework my desk to allow for something small - what do you do for a QT? Would a 10 gallon suffice? what do you do for set up water? Pull some out of the DT? What are the minimum requirements for a QT, especially since it'll need to get taken down and sanitized between uses?

I'm running on a budget, so QT even for new fish to a new tank seems like a worth while risk avoidance measurement. Do you QT coral as well?

Thanks!!

SteveMac84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned everything here. My QT. 10 gallons. Small heater. HOB filter. No carbon. Thermometer. Ammonia badge. Simple and affordable. Has had 4 fish so far.

Attachments

• A23C8DEA-48EA-4C25-B414-59AE7C263F45.jpeg
    A23C8DEA-48EA-4C25-B414-59AE7C263F45.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 30

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 66 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back