QT sandsifting goby questions

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently QTing a diamond sand-sifting goby. Curious about any recommendations for things to watch for specific to this goby and anything specific to do for him? I’ve given him lots of rock and hiding places but no sand. I could add sand but there wouldn’t be any life in it so I wasn’t sure if I would actually be doing him any favors. Thoughts? He is currently eating frozen offerings. Open to suggestions. Currently offering various gutloaded brine soaked in vitamins and pe mysis.

Also, suggestions on how to best introduce him into an established tank with larger fish? I am particularly concerned with my coral beauty, two spot bristletooth tang, and melanarus wrasse (probably least of all the wrasse) as they are the welcoming committee he will need to impress.... thanks all! :)

(I wish I could add other fish at the same time to disperse aggression but sadly I feel the tank is at capacity after the goby and that I would be taxing the bioload if I add more - my current best thought is to add him after the lights go out for the evening)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Coral Beauty gave my Diamond Watchman Goby a hard time for a day or two (but in this case the Goby was established and the CB was the new guy). After the first couple of days though they were fine with each other.

There are a few things you could do that may help the transition go smoother:

1) Put him in an acclimation box for a few days for them to get used to each other
2) Dim the lights or add him after the lights go out on the tank, so they get used to each other without putting a spotlight on the new guy so to speak
3) Rearrange the rockwork a bit to change things up for the established tank mates
4) Put a mirror near the tank to distract your established fish

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back