QT size appropriate?

harveyreefer03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , Im planning ahead for a minimum 4ft 90g tank build (might be bigger).

I have a 30g that I am planning to use temporarily for a QT tank and wanted to know if a fish such as a blue tang (small specimen) would be fine for a short period of time whilst I treat with copper (probably 30days)

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a 20g. Have a yellow and bristle tooth in there both med sized. Just do more frequent wc for bigger fish and you will be good.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a free 30g setup from my uncle. After now setting this up. I realized my last attempts were too small. And this size really seems to do the trick and price wise reasonable

OP
OP
harveyreefer03

harveyreefer03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be plenty in my opinion. I only have a 13g qt. I think 20g is quite popular . Your 30g is bigger than most . You should be more than fine
allright thanks , its a juwel lido thats currently freshwater that Im probably gonna clean and turn into a QT before I sell it

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 gallon is fine for a QT for most tangs, besides the Nasos and the larger Acanthurus.

I would not recommend a blue for a 90 gallon.

OP
OP
harveyreefer03

harveyreefer03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 gallon is fine for a QT for most tangs, besides the Nasos and the larger Acanthurus.

I would not recommend a blue for a 90 gallon.
I mean I 100% wouldnt want to have one in a 90g full size , but for smaller juvenile ones I don't really see a huge issue , this is why I stated it would be a small one.
But I am aware that its usually not a good idea all of the time and Im not confident on the idea and waiting to see the biggest size tank I can get based on the house extension completion and where all the funature is going.
Proboally going to consider a zebrasoma or bristletooth of some sort potentially instead of an acantharus

But what would you think would be a good tank size?

Last edited:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 10g for 1-2 fish. Easy to figure out/adjust med ratios and do water changes on a 10. Currently has a white bristletooth and a lightning maroon in it doing great...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon setup for a qt tank.

As for the blue tang IMO it has more to do with the length of the tank than the volume. I wouldn't put them in anything below a 6 foot long tank even as juveniles and then as adults 8 foot minimum.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going do respectfully disagree. Sometimes individuals seem content. Just an example. I have a 2” blue tang in my 30g qt tank. Now it’s full of live rock and looks just like a reef. My dory loves one section of the rock work and grazes and hangs out there all day. Never seen her swim anywhere else. Obviously that will change as she gets older. But you never know.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back