QT tank cycling problem!

Hop2jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I started cycling a qt tank 10 gal tank with a sponge filter powered by an air pump. I have ammonia 8 nitrites 0 nitrate 0 for the last month don’t know why it will not cycle. Bare bottom with 2 pieces of pvc pipe. Tryed putting in a dirty sock from my display tank that was 2 weeks ago and still nothing should I put some live rock from my sump in I’m at a loss?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been using fish food or putting pieces of shrimp in it to get it started? Stuff needs to decay to get the cycle started.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any source of nitrifying bacteria? I keep several sponges and ceramic media bags in my sump. They would need to be there for at least a month to be well populated.

I also would recommend a cheap HOB filter as it will also add some water movement. Fritz Turbostart, Microbacter7, Dr. Tims , etc. are good sources of bacterial cultures. You also may want to do a small water change as ammonia levels that high can sometimes stall the cycle.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of cycles stalling if the ammonia is over 5ppm. I've never confirmed this with my tanks, though. I prefer to dose pure ammonia up to 2ppm then monitor the cycle from that point.

I only use some Biospira bacteria to cycle my quarantine tanks though. Works great and no waiting. The tank is ready for my quarantined fish in a day or so. I just test for ammonia every day at the beginning to ensure the nitrifying bacteria are doing their jobs.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is your issue

You haven't reset the test palette

What your interim ammonia reads doesn't matter, waste water testing isn't where you measure cycle completion

Cycles don't vary, when you test them correctly

They're done by day 30 without you buying anything retail wise

So measure it the right way, then post:

Change 100% of water, make a known zero ammonia condition

Retake ammonia test, no matter what it reads that's your calibrated zero, mark the color

Dose the tank using liquid ammonia to one half parts per million or the least increment of + color change your kit registers up from calibrated zero

Not 2ppm

The first increment above zero your test kit that registers a subtle changes, stop ammonia note the color

Retest repost in 24 hours

The steps properly measure a cycle and account for test kit drift... your tank is cycled. That will show it

Ways you can mess up the test-
-Not a complete water change
-spiking ammonia past .5 ppm

You need to factor surface area into your assessment, eight ppm is too much to measure against here so it bears no help to know that factor. We reset the system to zero, calibrate, it'll pass oxidation test when adjusted for a single sponge filter.

The 8ppm ammonia stated amount didn't kill the bac it fed them well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back