QT tank help!

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so we have an ich outbreak and need to place all our fish in QT and go fish less for 3 months as I've read in the research I've done. I have a 10g QT tank set up but know it's not enough to set up for all my fish. Could someone please help me figure out the minimum I would need to be able to QT all my fish? I have the following:
1 yellow tang (small)
2 scooter blennies
2 Bangaii Cardinals
1 Orange Spotted Goby
1 Carpenter Flasher Wrasse

I appreciate all the help and need to get this set up quickly. I can transfer them to the 10g for the time being but know that it's gonna be WAY too crowded for the time I have to have them in QT.
Also, if I take out my Orange Spotted Goby - he is paired with a pistol shrimp - when I reintroduce him, would he pair up again? I know I can't take both of them out since the shrimp wouldn't handle the copper.
I talked to my LFS and they said to just let them be and this was when my yellow tang showed signs, it's been 3 weeks and he's doing better but I see it spreading to my cardinals. I just want to nip it in the butt now and just solve the issue.
Thanks for the help!!

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no less then 30G, the bigger the better. throw in some pvc fittings for places for them to hide. The smaller you go the more often you will be doing water changes due to ammonia.

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, can I use base rock? I have one piece of PVC in the 10g but have a good amount of base rock I figured I could use in the new QT. Would this work?

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is having the $1 per gallon sell right now. You can pick up a 40B which would be plenty big enough.

Thank you so much!! I'm gonna go over there and pick one up! I just don't want to lose any fish and being new I followed by LFS advice and now wish I would have just done this a long time ago.

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I'll stick to the PVC. Do you recommend hyposalinity vs copper?

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, with having 3 fish that like to borrow in sand, should I have anything in the bottom or just go BB?

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red coris wrasse thats doing great, without sand. I do the cupramine treatment and then prazipro after that.

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'll try that :) Hopefully everyone does well. I'm gonna grab a 40g after work

DerekFF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little off topic but still relevant. If you don't QT every purchase you buy from here on out, this QT is pointless. You'll just reintroduce ich all over again.

Id venture to say 95% of all aquariums have ich in them. But with good husbandry and maintenance most people never have issues with ich.

OP
OP
lovecrzreef

lovecrzreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I definitely learned my lesson!! I am definitely using my QT tank for every purchase from here on! I just want to get back on track and not get discouraged. I'm loving this hobby so far but these set backs really hurt! And the good thing is that I actually enjoy the maintenance and water changes, I find it relaxing even though my husband gets angry with it lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%

Back