QT tank too small to treat all fish?

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a 72 bowfront with a few LPS corals in it and lots of live rock that I started a month ago.

I haven’t QT my fish and have quickly learned that was a mistake and am setting up a 29 gallon as I type this.

My tank has:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 royal gramma
1 yellow watchman goby
1 copperband hutterfly

The gramma had a single speck on the tail fin a couple of days after I intoruced a few weeks back but it fell off the very next day so I couldn’t decide what it was. Well, now the Copperband was most recently introduced and has a spot on his tail and one on a pectoral fin. He is shaking sometimes which I’ve read means it’s probably in the gills.

Is the 29 big enough to remove all of them and do the 72 day treatment?

I know I made a rookie mistake so please be kind, I’m already pretty upset.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you should be good to go.

Definitely buy a Seachems Ammonia Badge.. incredibly cheap and constant ammonia readings. Amazon is the best place I have found to source this.

A standard hang-on-back filter (like used in freshwater) will be enough filtration if seeded with bacteria but do not forget to remove the carbon pad when running medications. With that many fish, I would also suggest a small powerhead pointing at the surface to ensure the water stays oxygenated.

OP
OP
Kinghugo5

Kinghugo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you should be good to go.

Definitely buy a Seachems Ammonia Badge.. incredibly cheap and constant ammonia readings. Amazon is the best place I have found to source this.

A standard hang-on-back filter (like used in freshwater) will be enough filtration if seeded with bacteria but do not forget to remove the carbon pad when running medications. With that many fish, I would also suggest a small powerhead pointing at the surface to ensure the water stays oxygenated.

I bought the Marineland bio wheel HOB and also a small power head. I’m going to get some pvc as well and an ammonia reader good call. So I should just run the filter with the bio wheel or get a pad without carbon?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Marineland bio wheel HOB and also a small power head. I’m going to get some pvc as well and an ammonia reader good call. So I should just run the filter with the bio wheel or get a pad without carbon?
Remove the carbon pad before adding any medication. It won't hurt to use it before then, just don't forget it :)

I personally use a mesh bag, rolled up tight, and jammed in the filter. Filter floss is also a great option. An old filter sock cut up will also be fine. Pre-seeded from the display is ideal, or a bacteria in a bottle product. I almost always use a bacteria-in-a-bottle product to start my QT tanks.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back