qt tank

angel1237

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a small qt tank..I was told by my reef store It Is a good Idea to qt new fish for a month or so before putting them In my man tank...so I went and bought a 10gl and a power head and a heater..is this all I need...I put saltwater and a 3lb dead rock in it...it is just sitting now...how long before I can bring a fish home to put in it..

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank needs to cycle also, before you can put QT fish in there. But yes, your LFS got you pointed in the right direction, but all you need in the tank wouls be a filter, heater, and pvc piep for hiding places. QT is for observation, and medication if needed.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a great idea. good habit to keep. also creates a safe non stressful place to get them eating before they have to compete with others in your main tank.

Last edited:

55g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a quarantine tank as well. How is the tank suppose to cycle with one piece of base rock and a filter I assume will need to changed on a regular basis? Where will the good bacteria reside? Is the one piece of base rock good enough? Thanks...

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put a filter sponge that has been sitting in your sump or overflow as it will be stuffed with beneficial bacteria, that is your substitute for rock and sand. The sponge and bacteria filter the water. I also add a bacteria additive to help the process just in case. (I am not writing well tonight, been a long week).
To put things a bit more simply I hope, here is what I do. I put sponges for the aquaclear filters in my sump for 2+ months (I just leave them in there all the time). When it comes time to QT you fill the tank with DT water if possible, put the sponge in the filter. Start running the tank as normal (heater, powerhead, filter). Add some bacteria if you feel it is neccesary. I keep an ammonia alert badge in my QT as well. No sand or rock. Just PVC or plastic decor.

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often would you suggest testing ammonia, nitrite, nitrate in a qt tank set up like the last post? Sorry to hijack. I just set one up too and have been testing every day for first three days it's been up. Thinking that may be overkill.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every day you should be checking ammonia and nitrites in a QT and do water changes as needed...if that means daily, then do a daily water change.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i change my water every few days. just watch how much you feed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back