QT tank

Brandona86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to set up a QT tank. If I use water to fill the tank from my display, and the new tank being bare bottom does it still need to cycle. I’m thinking not because there would only be pvc and glass in there. Thanks in advance

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it still needs to cycle. Ammonia and Nitrite are still toxic and need to be managed. You could do water changes to manage or get media for those, but it's much easier to cycle and it's one less thing you have to worry about.

I seed with pond matrix from my display sump I keep there just for that purpose.

If not, the surfaces of the glass/pvc will provide enough surface area for bacteria to manage Ammonia and Nitrite for small load.

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as usual it all depends. If you are going to keep this tank up and running for a short time to just get thru a set time period --- then no need to cycle. you will have to do water changes to the QT to keep ammonia down.

If you are looking to keep the QT up and running full time --- kind of a hospital tank / just in case --- then after the the initial usage you may want to think about forcing it thru a cycle. lots of reading / planning to do if you are going this route.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back