QT water changes

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a hob filter in a 10 gallon tank. Started new with Dr tims. Only been up 4 days did a four gallon water change. Today day 5 the ammonia level is at .05. Did another gallon I had made up. Do I need to do this like every other day now?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a hob filter in a 10 gallon tank. Started new with Dr tims. Only been up 4 days did a four gallon water change. Today day 5 the ammonia level is at .05. Did another gallon I had made up. Do I need to do this like every other day now?
No, you shouldn't need to do water changes more than once every week or two. What are you seeing that makes you think you need to be doing water changes? Ammonia at o.o5ppm isn't a problem. I only worry when it gets close to 0.25ppm.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks that helps a lot. I thought the ammonia alert tag had to be yellow -zero all the time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks that helps a lot. I thought the ammonia alert tag had to be yellow -zero all the time.
Nope, just make sure that you either have bright tank lights or shine a flashlight on the back of the badge when you read it. Otherwise you won't get an accurate color reading.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I don't have any light in the tank just daylight. I'm only using a HOB filter removed the charcoal. Good enough?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I don't have any light in the tank just daylight. I'm only using a HOB filter removed the charcoal. Good enough?
That is pretty much what I use for a QT. I do have a light on mine but I only rarely use it.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now off to try and solve my previous electrical problem. Power strips without surge protectors. If that doesn't do it I might just remove the GFI.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now off to try and solve my previous electrical problem. Power strips without surge protectors. If that doesn't do it I might just remove the GFI.
I didn't make the connection. Good luck with that and if replacing the power strips doesn't work, reach out to me. You might have a dangerous situation developing and I would hate to see you remove the GFCI protection if it can be avoided.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back