QT

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 3 fish coming saturday from DD, 2 bonded kauderns cardinals and a yellowfin flasher wrasse, should these get along ok in my QT tank? its a 15 gallon bio cube with several pieces of pvc

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know about those cardinals. A member had a "bonded" pair from DD a couple of months ago, and one of the fish went "postal" on the other half of the bonded pair. Consider getting yourself a sheet of egg crate and some 1/4" plastic mesh. If the fish go after each other, you can insert a divider to limit the damage. Use zip ties to connect the 1/4" mesh onto the egg crate. It was amazing.
I use the same materials to make escape proof tops for my tank. No carpet surfing allowed. LOL
IMG_1016.JPG

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, qt is set up, the new arrivals will be here today so no time for cycling the tank, I did stick some red macro from my refuge in to at least get some bacteria in the tank, will I be able to get away with just frequent water changes? This is just the second qt I’ve set up and I was much more prepared the first time, had the tank completely cycled with a sponge from the display tank, this fish order was kinda spur of the moment...

3B48B4A8-CCC6-4518-88CC-B0CE5C9352E8.jpeg

3C58F59B-DDA7-4D5E-95A5-8425148C5A3B.jpeg

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellowfin flasher will be able to fit through the holes in the eggcrate, FYI. You'll need to cover them with 0.25" nylon mesh to prevent the fish from passing through them. Pick up a bottle of Bio-spira and throw a bag of ceramic media (like Seachem Matrix) in the overflow and you should be fine with ammonia control.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ^^^ use zip ties to attach 1/4" plastic mesh to the divider. Seachem Matrix or Fluval Biomax seeded with BioSpira/Dr Tims, etc. works really well in an HOB. Nice looking setup.

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not able to get any of the plastic mesh today, would fiberglass window screen work? I have a brand new roll of it

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not able to get any of the plastic mesh today, would fiberglass window screen work? I have a brand new roll of it
I'd replace it with plastic mesh as soon as you can. Fiberglass screen could break down and make a mess.

Back