Quantum Nyos skimmer initial setup

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys... looking for some help with the Quantum Nyos 120 skimmer.

So I finally gave up on cleaning a cannister filter and got myself a skimmer. I just set it up according to the manual, 8" of water on my sump, tube adjustment all open, fine water adjustment all open and air all open.
It quickly overflows the collection cup with clean water and I can't seem to make the water level go up (it's right above the pump).

Tried closing the air, closing the water fine adjustment and the tube, nothing... is it part of the braking in period? Should I let it overflowing until then?

Thanks!

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nightmare of a time with my nyos 120 until I figured out the “rough” control was the giant stack next to the skimmer body. The entire piece turns (that’s the piece the two smaller fine control and air dials are).

Let it run for a day without the skimmer cup. On the second day make sure to Open the air all the way. Close the “rough” control to minimize water coming in. If its still overflowing id double check your airline. I did have a jam in there which caused water to overflow as well.

Hope some of this helps and good luck!

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer break in. It always happens. Look it up.

Run your skimmer in a bucket of vinegar + RO/DI water for 15 minutes. Rinse everything off, then back into the sump. Give it a week, it'll do great.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotate the adjustment tube clockwise to lower water line to halfway point between the bottom and top of the skimmer cup.. I usually do this after I figure out how much air I want.. pretty simple setup.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, but then I did the vinegar bath and it worked like a charm. 5 gallon bucket, 1/2 rodi / 1/2 vinegar. My skimmer will overflow the whole time in the bucket, but don't worry that's normal. Let it run for about 20 to 30 min, rinse off and it will work. At first you have to open all the valves an it will still be high but it will work and it will continue to get lower every few days. You will have to start closing the big valve after a while just to get the bubbles up to collect skimmate

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, but then I did the vinegar bath and it worked like a charm. 5 gallon bucket, 1/2 rodi / 1/2 vinegar. Your skimmer will overflow the whole time in the bucket, but don't worry that's normal. Let it run for about 20 to 30 min, rinse off and it will work. At first you have to open all the valves an it will still be high but it will work and it will continue to get lower every few days. You will have to start closing the big valve after a while just to get the bubbles up to collect skimmate

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I will give it a try. Another thing I noticed was how loud the vibration noise on the pump was. Is it normal with the 120? I heard only great reviews on how silent the 160 is, quite surprised mine is not silent at all. I will try taking it apart again and playing with the impeller

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I will give it a try. Another thing I noticed was how loud the vibration noise on the pump was. Is it normal with the 120? I heard only great reviews on how silent the 160 is, quite surprised mine is not silent at all. I will try taking it apart again and playing with the impeller
Make sure the clips are all tight, and none of the screws are cross-threaded. Mine is dead silent

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the fine tune dial for close and open is actually for output water from the skimmer body. If you close it, that means you close the output gap smaller which will lead to raising water transition level inside the skimmer. Open is vis versa. Mine is 160 running for 2 years and its pretty much settled down. No matter how I clean the skimmer it will get back to what I want in less than half day. I usually adjust the fine tune dial 1/4 turn at a time and 30 minutes later to check the result. I have my air intake tuned wide open.

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have a bad pump. Took the whole thing apart, played with the impeller... still produces a loud humming noise. Would you guys mind checking the video I just posed and tell me wether the noise level is normal? Otherwise I will have to look for warranty...
The noise amplifies when in my sump with the rest of the skimmer...

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound that loud to me. Skimmer will be the loudest equipment in your sump besides your return in my opinion. My 160 produces the humming sound but it is minor.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubber feet help dampen some of the vibration. That does sound like something may be rubbing. I never ran my pump out of the skimmer before so hard for me to judge if that’s normal or not.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back