Quarantine tank heater question

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all, I’ve set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank in my garage (external from house). The garage isn't heated and as we are in Scotland it’s pretty cold in there just now. I’m aiming for 79 degrees of heat to match display tank, although the heater is set to this it hasn’t got up to target temperature and has been running for 4 days now. Can I put another heater heater in the tank to help? Do you think it’s the ambient temperature causing the issue ie the heater is struggling to cope? Thanks
2E6148D4-53F3-413E-B4A3-25C359AD89A7.jpeg

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all, I’ve set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank in my garage (external from house). The garage isn't heated and as we are in Scotland it’s pretty cold in there just now. I’m aiming for 79 degrees of heat to match display tank, although the heater is set to this it hasn’t got up to target temperature and has been running for 4 days now. Can I put another heater heater in the tank to help? Do you think it’s the ambient temperature causing the issue ie the heater is struggling to cope? Thanks
2E6148D4-53F3-413E-B4A3-25C359AD89A7.jpeg
What is the heater rated for? Faulty heater? Orr could be maxed out due to the outside temperature been cold

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need more heating power; existing looks like 50W or less. I would try to insulate the tank as best you can. The heat loss for that is going to be massive with the temperature delta. It's trying to heat the garage...

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need more heating power; existing looks like 50W or less. I would try to insulate the tank as best you can. The heat loss for that is going to be massive with the temperature delta. It's trying to heat the garage...
Yeah.......was afraid of that. Have added the heater that came with the Juwel display tank, fine tuning now but it overshot the target earlier so all good. Bubble wrap for insulation and keep the front clear for observing?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you can do to reduce the heatloss would be good. Foam board is my go-to. Put some around 3 sides and lay a piece on top. It's going to simply take substantial energy to maintain the tank at that temp. Using multiple heaters is totally fine though.

Many people think turning a heater "up" past the desired setpoint will help, but heaters are not like car accelerator pedal. They are all on or all off, as determined by the internal (or external!) t-stat. No modulation.

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you can do to reduce the heatloss would be good. Foam board is my go-to. Put some around 3 sides and lay a piece on top. It's going to simply take substantial energy to maintain the tank at that temp. Using multiple heaters is totally fine though.

Many people think turning a heater "up" past the desired setpoint will help, but heaters are not like car accelerator pedal. They are all on or all off, as determined by the internal (or external!) t-stat. No modulation.
Thank you!

Sunshine3387

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't put it in the garage if it's much colder than you're running the tank at. Seals do not do well with a fluctuations in temp of the tank and ambient temperature of a room. Unless you can heat the garage some way you may end up with a broken tank.

OP
OP
TheXpander

TheXpander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely wouldn't put it in the garage if it's much colder than you're running the tank at. Seals do not do well with a fluctuations in temp of the tank and ambient temperature of a room. Unless you can heat the garage some way you may end up with a broken tank.
Thank you, after consideration I’ve decided to move it into a bedroom in the house.....thanks all!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back