Quarantine Tank Questions - How Many Tanks?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I am attempting to return to reefing after many years of not having a reef tank, and at this point I know just enough to make myself dangerous to both my tank and myself, lol!

I have no saltwater tanks currently running, so this is all in the planning stage :)

I know that I want a quarantine system this time around, and that I'd like to quarantine nearly everything, within reason. I understand that there are many philosophies in this hobby, but right now this is the methodology that makes the most sense to me, so I'd like to follow it.

Before I got out of reefing several years ago, I put a lot of thought into a QT system. I actually bought three new 10 gallon standard tanks to use as a QT system for my display tank (40 gallon), all of which has been in storage ever since. Fast forward to today, I'm still finalizing my current display tank plans, but I want to get my QT tanks going as soon as possible.

I know I need one tank to QT fish, obviously. And I know I need a separate tank for corals, obviously. Is there any reason to keep a third QT tank? Honestly, I have these three 10 gallon tanks in storage, and for the life of me I'm wondering why I have three. My plan is for a very easy-going, softie to maybe some easy LPS tank. Why in the heck did I think I need a third QT tank? Am I nuts? (at least about this?!)??

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Fish fan

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a 3rd tank for inverts? Personally I do the humblefish hybrid tank transfer method. So I use two 10 gallon tanks, but I don’t qt my corals or inverts. I do dip my corals and try to only buy inverts from fish less systems.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a 3rd tank for inverts? Personally I do the humblefish hybrid tank transfer method. So I use two 10 gallon tanks, but I don’t qt my corals or inverts. I do dip my corals and try to only buy inverts from fish less systems.
Thanks for the reply! For the corals, I know it's more of a frag/grow out tank, and that you dip and treat separately. But I'd like a tank for QT of new corals, and a separate tank for fish. Is there a reason for a third QT tank?

Thanks again!

-FF

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! For the corals, I know it's more of a frag/grow out tank, and that you dip and treat separately. But I'd like a tank for QT of new corals, and a separate tank for fish. Is there a reason for a third QT tank?

Thanks again!

-FF

Two should be fine, one for fish and one for the inverts and corals. Doesn't hurt to have an extra on hand just in case. I came home one day to 9 gallons of water on the floor, and my two clown fish fluttering around in about an inch of water near the end of their time in the QT. Luckily I had a few extra gallons of water and a spare 10g to move them into while I made more water.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and help! I've got three tanks, so I guess it couldn't hurt to run them all. I just don't know what I was thinking when I bought three thanks lol!

-Fish Fan

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back