Quarantine Tank Set Up

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my QT is this- 15 Gallon Aquarium » Aqueon® 15 Gallon Column Deluxe Aquarium Kit | PetSmart Which is a 15g column tank, with a QuietFlow filter 10 and one T5 bulb socket. I upgraded the heater as I did not like the one it came with. I cycled the tank about 2 months ago. First thing. Should this filter be adequate for a QT/HT? Do I need to add anything for flow? The filter provides a bit of flow, but not much at all. Last time I did water testing on the tank it had zero ammonia, zero nitrites and some nitrates (about 1.5-2weeks ago). I have since done a 20% WC but I have not retested the water yet. How can I check that the tank is still cycled? I know a sort of odd question. The tank has no substrate or rock. All it has is one large barnacle. The filter has a video about changing the cartridge and the only thing is my biological media is not built up like theirs is yet, so I worry about changing the cartridge. Could I put a cartridge in my DT sump to seed it just in case? How long would I need to leave it in the sump for? If I need to upgrade the filter, I am not too worried, would appreciate some suggestions if that is the case.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to add a little flow to my qt just for increased aeration but it's not required.

You can put the sponge or filter pad in your sump to seed it with good bacteria. The tank Will most likely cycle a bit once a fish is added but if there is some good established bacteria already then it should be minimal depending on fish load.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best practice IMO is to use a filter with a sponge, keep a couple in your DT sump and replace them as needed. This way if you need to clean it out and restart it your good to go. I like to let my sponges seed for about a month before use. It's also helpful to keep one of those ammonia alert badges on the front glass to warn you in the event your tank produces any ammonia. I recommend going for a little bigger filter than rated so it'll come with a bigger sponge and more surface area for bacteria. The aqua clear ones that most chain stores sale work great.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, thirty days should seed it pretty well as long as your stocking lightly. Use a ammonia alert badge for a quick monitor just to be safe and let you know ahead of time of any issue.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also go ahead and put two in your sump, having an extra seeded sponge to use at your disposal is always a good idea.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Thanks so much! Hopefully I can find a way to keep them in the sump, it is pretty high flow and I cannot even get filter pads to stay put. I was thinking of using some veggie clips to keep them in isntead of themn floating around. I have to get a new ammonia alert badge for my DT anyway because I exposed it air after it had been in water and I believe that has made it obsolete. -.-

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha I hope this is my last round of questions for this.
I got the aquaclear 20 and I set it all up. Should I also put the bio media in the DT sump or just the sponge? The water currently in the QT has ammonia and nitrates (nitrates are up the wazoo right now), should I just take it all out and start fresh since I am using a new filter anyway, if so, should I attempt to cycle the tank without the sponge and/or bio media? I am not sure if the aquaclear can run with any of the media missing, but if it can, should I run it?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't hurt to run it for now while you seed your sponge. It also wouldn't hurt to run the bio media as well, I'm not sure it's effect on meds though. You might remove it before hand. Let it run as is and just do a water change when your sponge is ready.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you SO much, Brett! I am running the filter with just the carbon and the bio media. Sponge is in the sump. Luckily I can download the rebate form for the media because all my box had was a sticker that said look at the side for info/instructions and there is nothing on or in the box/instructions for the rebates.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, let me know if you have any other questions. Looking forward to seeing some new fish in there.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know! It kind of kills me to re-start the quarantine tank, but I want the best for my fish, and I refuse to risk the clowns any more than I have.

coralgazer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just my 2 cents Sounds like your QT is now cycling nicely. Don't tear it down now, you will have a fully cycled QT tank when it is over. Feed the bacteria every 2-3 days with frozen food. Get rid of the charcoal, not good for QT, just use a seeded sponge and add some of your DT water during water changes. Did I get this right?

I had an ammonia problem in my QT (with 2 fish to keep alive) I did a 20% WC and used all DT water. Ammonia went to 0 and stayed there.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, just my 2 cents Sounds like your QT is now cycling nicely. Don't tear it down now, you will have a fully cycled QT tank when it is over. Feed the bacteria every 2-3 days with frozen food. Get rid of the charcoal, not good for QT, just use a seeded sponge and add some of your DT water during water changes. Did I get this right?

I had an ammonia problem in my QT (with 2 fish to keep alive) I did a 20% WC and used all DT water. Ammonia went to 0 and stayed there.

Good luck!
Well I had the ammonia jump up because I put some pellet food in it to try and keep the bacteria alive. The only problem I was having was nitrates, the tank was already cycled, just in the last phase I suppose. The reason I said re-start was due to the new filter the bacteria is going to be gone.
So you are saying just use the sponge, no charcoal and no bio media? I will try and add DT water sometime this week or next weekend, just did a WC on her today.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, should I be doing anything to the QT while I wait for the sponge? Any smart start/nitrifying bacteria or water changes or anything?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just let it be, if your gonna add any bacterial additive I would just add it to the sponge. With a nicely seeded sponge you should be able to tear down and setup your QT at any time with all new water if you choose. The sponge is the heart and soul of the whole tank, it has it's limits but will do great for just a couple fish at a time. Now I'm just rambling on and on :)

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am happy to report I have 3 sponges ready for the QT, and other than changing the water, the tank is ready. It has a heater, filter, powerhead, lighted hood, ammonia alert badge, thermometer, back up air stone and things for fish to hide in.
So, now I just need to get on top of the water and make sure it is stable, and get the next fish!

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few people who use those aquaclears as mini refuges since you can take the media basket out and youre left with a nice open area. Personally I use an aquaclear 20 on my 10g qt/ht tank with a couple pieces of rubble or old dead coral skeletons to help with bacteria and I put some empty hermit and snail shells in the tank as well. The next and last fish I plan on getting is some type of tang so the qt will come in handy. I do have one question though, and I'll try not to hijack your thread, but on a qt do I need a light, and if so what type of lighting would I need for a 10g?

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no worries! At least I can answer your question! It is recommended to have a light. Any basic light is fine, even a single bulb type of light or a small stunner strip of LEDs, just something so you can examine your fish for diseases/parasites.
I do think that would be neat to have a 'fuge in there, but I am not going to be running my QT full time so it would be a pain.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back