question about fenbendazole

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys just have one question about fenbendazole, so i treated my tank with fenbendazole about 3 months ago since i notice that my clownfish had stringy poop so i combine fenbendazole with seachem focus with their food. my clownfish is now doing really good, however my green star polyps died and for the past months everytime i add one it never opens and just dies out while the rest of my corals like the zoa, duncan, mushroom and red bubble tip anemone are doing fine so my question is how long does fenbendazole stay in the reef tank? water parameters are fine atleast i think so. thank you in advance.
alk: 12 dkh
calcium: 450
magnesium: 1250
ph: 8.0
nitrate: 0
phosphate: .04

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
hey guys just have one question about fenbendazole, so i treated my tank with fenbendazole about 3 months ago since i notice that my clownfish had stringy poop so i combine fenbendazole with seachem focus with their food. my clownfish is now doing really good, however my green star polyps died and for the past months everytime i add one it never opens and just dies out while the rest of my corals like the zoa, duncan, mushroom and red bubble tip anemone are doing fine so my question is how long does fenbendazole stay in the reef tank? water parameters are fine atleast i think so. thank you in advance.
alk: 12 dkh
calcium: 450
magnesium: 1250
ph: 8.0
nitrate: 0
phosphate: .04
Fenz is a dewormer for cats and dogs and really should not be used although some use it as a dewormer for flukes. Fenbendazole is not easily water soluble and needs to diluted or broken down with a solvent such as alcohol or witch hazel. More important should be used in quarantine and NOT in a DISPLAY Tank.
It has high impact on some fish when fed with foods and like Cipr- Its best left out of a reef tank. If not properly dissolved will affect coral

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fenz is a dewormer for cats and dogs and really should not be used although some use it as a dewormer for flukes. Fenbendazole is not easily water soluble and needs to diluted or broken down with a solvent such as alcohol or witch hazel. More important should be used in quarantine and NOT in a DISPLAY Tank.
It has high impact on some fish when fed with foods and like Cipr- Its best left out of a reef tank. If not properly dissolved will affect coral
so does this mean i need to change my rocks and my sand now since i read that it usually stays in the tank forever specially in live rocks?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so does this mean i need to change my rocks and my sand now since i read that it usually stays in the tank forever specially in live rocks?
Carbon and water changes should reduce the content as well as a product called poly filter which is an absorbing pad

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon and water changes should reduce the content as well as a product called poly filter which is an absorbing pad
i have all of those you just listed but somehow my gsp and my xenia are still dying and this is my 3 gsp and xenia i added throughout the 3 months after i put the medication and my water parameter are fine so im thinking that the medication is still in the water

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i have all of those you just listed but somehow my gsp and my xenia are still dying and this is my 3 gsp and xenia i added throughout the 3 months after i put the medication and my water parameter are fine so im thinking that the medication is still in the water
Fenbendazole is clearly not reef safe and it will take carbon a few days to reduce content. It will spike nitrate and ammonia levels temporarily and has likely killed all worms and dusters in your tank. Its that potent if not properly diluted and use precisely

OP
OP
T

thefez510

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fenbendazole is clearly not reef safe and it will take carbon a few days to reduce content. It will spike nitrate and ammonia levels temporarily and has likely killed all worms and dusters in your tank. Its that potent if not properly diluted and use precisely
got it ill add more ammonia pads and more carbon to help get rid of it thank you

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it ill add more ammonia pads and more carbon to help get rid of it thank you

I no longer use Fenbendazole in aquarium water. I've run into serious toxicity issues with some species of fish, and have never tried it with more delicate invertebrates. I'll sometimes use it in food if dosed properly (25mg per 1 kg of fish weight daily for 3 days).

That said, dosing it in the water 3 months ago should not have ANY bearing on coral issues now, it breaks down by bacterial action fairly quickly, I think something else is going on here.

Jay

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering using this to kill my GSP once and for all. My only concerns are the resulting parameter swings, fish and my anemone. Any insight on what to expect?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm considering using this to kill my GSP once and for all. My only concerns are the resulting parameter swings, fish and my anemone. Any insight on what to expect?
As you stated small swings and as its a dewormer, effective on flukes and will kill flatworms, peanut worms, bristle worms and spaghetti worms. Additionally, it will make corals lime some mushrooms, anemones, starfish, some snails and polyp corals like zoa and goniopora very miserable. It finds its way into pores of rocks and will remain for several weeks after water changes
Reason I say not completely reef safe

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated small swings and as its a dewormer, effective on flukes and will kill flatworms, peanut worms, bristle worms and spaghetti worms. Additionally, it will make corals lime some mushrooms, anemones, starfish, some snails and polyp corals like zoa and goniopora very miserable. It finds its way into pores of rocks and will remain for several weeks after water changes
Reason I say not completely reef safe
I wish I had another route. Right now I feel either this or a complete tear down are my only options to rid myself of the GSP.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wish I had another route. Right now I feel either this or a complete tear down are my only options to rid myself of the GSP.
Im in WI- Send me all you want. It peels off glass and most rock easily. Im never sick of GSP. Low 40's next week

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Other thread answered. Its a dewormer, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back