Question about water flow

michaust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a biocube 29 and I just added two hydor 565 circulation pumps I was wondering were the best place to put them is. Right now I have one in each back top corner facing each other is this a good placement or should I place one on the back wall facing the front of the tank

IMG_1658.JPG

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on future coral. Where you place them today might change tomorrow. Figuratively speaking. You might get flow perfect for that one nem. Anything else you add might need different flow.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly going for lps no sps and zoas
Wait till you get more LPS. You won't know what type of flow you need until the polyps are present. To be honest, my second tank has been setup for almost 9 months now and I change flow on a weekly basis. Don't make it good. Just means I will add something and have to redirect flow.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general thing is to have some flow behind the rock. Just to keep junk out. You may be able to do that with a return.
Another general is to look for dead spots. A the three flow streams meet they create turbulence but sometimes it leaves Laminar spots(thats ok too) or spots of still(not so ok)
So if you can get an overall pattern of flow and turbulence going, then you'll be better set to make adjustments like Reeferfox said.

right now just by looking it seems the front of the tank is going to be slowest. But, it is a still picture.

OP
OP
michaust

michaust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have a robokaki chalice, some zoas and one acan frag that I put right in the middle of the tank and it seems happy there it's puffed up since I moved it there before it was kinda flat

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back