Question about wave pump strength

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my new tank(40g 36” wide) going 2 days ago. Dry rock and live sand and no lights yet so it’s hard to see what is happening with the flow. I have a 600gph on the right side and just ordered a 1350gph for the left side. Will that be too strong for this tank? The 600gph feels too weak but I’m worried that the 1350 will blast everything away.

Bobothegreat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also curious on the same I tried to do research on it here but no luck. I will be starting my stand this week but am trying to get everything ordered for the tank. I also have a 40gallon. But was looking at a 1050 hydor

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a wave pump with alternating or pulsing ability vs a constant flow power head. Second, if they are controllable, you can go higher than what you think the tank can handle and run them at less than 100%. Advantage is extra power should you need it and longevity in life due to less wear/tear.

If keeping softie coral, minimal flow is needed. LPS and SPS require higher flow with SPS requiring a lot. Basic rule of thumb, if your sand isn't moving around you don't have too much flow.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 40B and used 2 Jebao SW-4. There is a new OW-4 version. The older versions are the PP-4 and RW-4. They are great to pulse the euphyllias.
I have the SW-4s on a my 65g now, because the 40B cracked due to it not being leveled. Still works great. It is the same footprint of a 40B. Just a little bit taller. I did just pick up a bubblegum digitata. It has not opened up in a good 2 weeks. I am going to agree with Rob on this one that it is not enough flow for that coral, but I do have an extra Hydor powerhead 420 I am going to point right at it. Hopefully that will work or otherwise I may have to get a stronger one for it since the digitata is supposed to be the easier of that type of coral and it hasn't been easy for me.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to have too much of the right kind of flow. It's easy to have too much of the wrong kind of flow. If your pumps have a random flow mode, you'll probably be fine. So long as the flow is not directed at any one animal or coral.

For reference, my display is a 20g long. I have an MP10 at one side and a Jebao PP-4 at the other. I set them to random mode from 0% to 100%. The MP10 has a maximum flow rate of 1,500 GPH. The PP-4 has a maximum flow rate of 1,000 GPH. So at times, my 20 gallon tank is getting 2,500 GPH of flow (125x turnover).

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much flow is never a bad thing for sps unless your stripping the skin off. A little sand movement is ok but too much movement is going to leave bare glass exposed, not a bad thing per say but just doesn't look right. For reference on my 40 breeder I'm using 2 MP40s which are rated at 4,500gph each plus my return which is rated at 568gph but I'm using the WWC flow pattern and have my pumps max out at 40% . Using Tropic Eden Reef Flakes (3-5mm grain size) I have very little sand movement.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Agree with the above coment, I like flow now some corals do not, it takes about 2 months for zoo's in my tank to get used to the flow. I have a 55 right now with a sicce 7 rated at 1900 an hour it is wide open I think it's probably a 1000 an hour, and i have a Gyre 230 lot of flow for this small tank

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back