Question about well water.

mbd521

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... Well I'm not really new to the hobby, but I just moved. While my fish (a percula clown and a yellow watchman amd pistol shrimp) and corals (large stone of GSP and a couple mushrooms) are being watched by my LFS. I was washing my sand and it occurred to me that I have well water at my new house and the water has that "sulfer stink". I have a BRS 5 stage RO system that is giving me 0 tds water(which has no odor) for the actual water for the tank. I had not thought about when I rinsed my new sand that I probably should have done so with the precious RO water that I have made up. In the past I have just always used my city water the rinse my sand and never had issue with it.

To get to the point of the post, will washing the sand with well water that didn't go through the RO filter harm the fish, corals, shrimps, and snails etc.? What I'm concerned about is the sulfer stink. After rising the sand, I dumped it into a half full tank of salt water (made from RO water) the water in the tank now has a slight odor of the sulfer? If there is sulfer in it what should I do? What could I expect?

Thank you all in advance for any and all advice! It is much appreciated!!

Feeling like a noob..

Brett

P.s. Not sure if it is relevant or not but my "softener" is not a typical one that uses salt this one uses carbon and chlorine bleach.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to tag them? Forum has changed a lot since last time I posted.
I did, that's why the "@" signs in front of their user ID's ;)

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing the sand with the tap water won't hurt anything.
Carbon and bleach doesn't sould like a water softener but is more likely a whole house taste and odor filter and may use the bleach to oxidize iron or manganese other water problems. A softener will have resin in it and be recharged with sodium or potassium or have tanks you exchange like Culligan or Rayne uses.

OP
OP
M

mbd521

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much!! I think your correct on the carbon and bleach being for odor and taste. I just don't really know what the system is called and the only thing I knew of to compare it to is a water softener. Thanks for letting me know it still be ok!! Greatly appreciated!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back