Question about Zoas

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, while trying to blow some sand a frag, all six heads of the zoanthids fell right off the plug. They seemed happy prior to this, have been mostly open for days even growing heads, but sometimes I do see some bigger pods around them. Is it normal for them to pop off a plug like that, or are the pods chewing at the bottom? All the other coral seem fine.

Now, the thing is that all six heads landed inside a crevice in a rock. I can see them, but I can't physically get them even with small tongs or tweezers. Should I just leave them in the crevice? Are they going to die? I don't think I want to haul the whole rock out to fish them out.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They should attach themselves and colonize the rock and crevice. I just had newly fragged polyp blow off a plug, it will be interesting to see where it decides to call home.

OP
OP
miso

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should attach themselves and colonize the rock and crevice. I just had newly fragged polyp blow off a plug, it will be interesting to see where it decides to call home.
Even with so little light down there dang..
I'll just it leave it then and not put my hands in the tank and risk something else going wrong. Any recommendations when to glue plugs down now I have this ugly empty plug on a rock, I figured with 6 heads and a couple weeks on the sand bed it should've been secure.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even with so little light down there dang..
I'll just it leave it then and not put my hands in the tank and risk something else going wrong. Any recommendations when to glue plugs down now I have this ugly empty plug on a rock, I figured with 6 heads and a couple weeks on the sand bed it should've been secure.
I would at least try to flush them out with a turkey baster or suck them out with it before you give up on them.

OP
OP
miso

miso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least try to flush them out with a turkey baster or suck them out with it before you give up on them.
I've tried three sperate times now with tweezers, tongs, dropper both to flush and try and suction but it's wedged in there. Gonna try and use my gravel vac when I do a water change don't know what else I can't do other than taking the entire rock out

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you can’t get them out just remember…
IMG_9335.gif

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back