Question for people with curved plexiglass aquariums

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just as a preface, I am not new to aquariums (I've had many at various times in my life, ranging from small 1 gallon desk aquariums to 55 gallon-Long, and everything in-between), but I am new to Marine aquariums. I have never had a salt tank before this one, and am in the process of learning stuff. Hoping that I don't destroy this one in the process.

I inherited this 50 gallon aquarium when I bought my Condo recently. It's already cycled and the water is actually very clean. The guy knew what he was doing . But it is a non-typical formfactor. A kind of vertical wedge. It looks like this:

PXL_20220221_222719637.MP.jpg

So I am seeing various scratches and stuff on it. While I have owned many aquariums, I have never owned a plexiglass one like this one. I am seeing marks on the front. Not super deep, but annoying. My question is: Is there any way to remove these without risking more damage to the aquarium? Can they be buffed out or something? Anyone have any experience doing this? Here is a closeup of two of the marks:

Capture.PNG

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I correctly see two (2) different things— long scratches, and the two circled area that look like gouges? Is it the gouges that your are most concerned about / wishing to remove?

OP
OP
Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I correctly see two (2) different things— long scratches, and the two circled area that look like gouges? Is it the gouges that your are most concerned about / wishing to remove?
Either / or.

Mostly just seeing if I can improve it at all. I know plexiglass scratches much easier than real glass.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are commercially available scratch removal compounds that work well. A drill with a fine soft buffing pad will aid with this. The compounds usually have a range of "grit" size like sandpaper. You get a harsher one for digging out the main scratch, and then a couple lighter ones to bring it to full finish.

I have heard of people using toothpaste to buff out lighter scratches. A deep gouge may or may not be something that can be completely removed.

Years ago, a friend of mine's nephew played "tic-tac-toe" all over the front of his acrylic tank with a key... took him months to get that off...

Good luck.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back