Question Is this a good plan prior to cycling?

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the JBJ 28 set with RO/DI water, sand, and aquascape. NOTE sand and rock were both dry. I have both pumps/returns on and running, I have my heater warming water up to 78 degrees and for right now I have a air stone running also. My plan is to double check the salinity and temperature over the next 24 to 48 hours before starting the cycle process at which time I will remove the air stone. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a question on the filter. I only have the sponge in the filter compartment BUT I have cut 100 micron filter pad on the top and bottom of the sponge to pick up and fine silt. As this is the first I have had the filter running I notice the water runs over and thru, I assume, the pad and sponge. Have I over filled the tank or is this normal for the water to run over the sponge/filter?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have the JBJ 28 set with RO/DI water, sand, and aquascape. NOTE sand and rock were both dry. I have both pumps/returns on and running, I have my heater warming water up to 78 degrees and for right now I have a air stone running also. My plan is to double check the salinity and temperature over the next 24 to 48 hours before starting the cycle process at which time I will remove the air stone. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a question on the filter. I only have the sponge in the filter compartment BUT I have cut 100 micron filter pad on the top and bottom of the sponge to pick up and fine silt. As this is the first I have had the filter running I notice the water runs over and thru, I assume, the pad and sponge. Have I over filled the tank or is this normal for the water to run over the sponge/filter?

Congrats and welcome!

Your tank is already cycling although you’ll need a source of ammonia.
Don’t think you need to wait that long, provided you have a calibrated refractometer, your salinity should be stable by now. No need for an airstone at all. Plus bacteria can survive salinity and temperature swings. For temperature I’d strongly advise getting a controller as almost none of the common heaters are accurate enough. How do you plan to proceed with cycling? Adding bacteria or just food/ammonia?

100micron pad will clog fast and perhaps is clogged already. Has it been like that when you installed or started to flow over after a few days? I’d just use filter floss which you can buy cheap and change when it clogs or even rinse.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toss a jumbo shrimp in there for a few days. This will kick off the ammonia needed for the initial cycle. After that ghost feed the tank with flake food every other day to keep the ammonia production up to feed the bacteria.

You shouldn't need an airstone as long as you have adequate surface agitation to oxygenate the water column and help keep the PH stable.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back