Question on Copepods

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have what I think is Cyano bacteria covering a lot of my gravel. I was told copepods would eat it. But aside from that, they perform other beneficial functions anyway. So even besides Cyano control, I feel like it's probably a good idea to colonize them. I have seen almost none in my tank so far. It is a well established tank...at least 18 months and probably longer (I inherited it from someone else). Water quality is very good.

Is there anything specific I need to know? Are there certain species I should be focusing on? Is there a process I should familiarize myself with before starting? It looks like the normal process is to buy bottles of them in larval stages and then grow them in the rocks and substrate. My substrate is black hawaiian sand (shallow...like 1/4" average across the bottom). My tank (pictured) is a 50 gallon acrylic wedge.

Can anyone recommend specific brands?

PXL_20221119_213140577.MP.jpg

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a seeding kit. dumped some in refugium and most in the tank and let it sit for an hour with no filter media and socks taken out.
All i do is dose live phyto every other day.

OP
OP
Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a seeding kit. dumped some in refugium and most in the tank and let it sit for an hour with no filter media and socks taken out.
All i do is dose live phyto every other day.

Are the colonies self sustaining? Or do I need to dose periodically?

I do have a UV light as well...I assume I need to turn that off while they are acclimating?

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do have a UV light as well...I assume I need to turn that off while they are acclimating?
Im not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt, but Its based on your fish, if you have alot of fish that eat pods, you may have to dose. My personal experience is that theyre fairly self sustaining. theyre all over my refugium and display tank glass. I have a mandarin, copperband and melanarus wrasse whom all eat the pods actively.
And i would shut everything down and remove and mechanical filtration for atleast an hour or so when you dose them to give them time to settle on rocks and substrate

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have millions and never dozed them.. I did get my tank second hand that’s about 10 years old.. I see shells flying all over durning the day from either molting or my six line having a feast and spitting the shells out! Haha big ones too!

OP
OP
Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt, but Its based on your fish, if you have a lot of fish that eat pods, you may have to dose. My personal experience is that they're fairly self sustaining. they're all over my refugium and display tank glass. I have a mandarin, copperband and melanarus wrasse whom all eat the pods actively.
And i would shut everything down and remove and mechanical filtration for at least an hour or so when you dose them to give them time to settle on rocks and substrate

I only have a smallish clown fish (like 1.5 of 2 inches). Lots of invertebrates. Thanks for your help.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just shut your pumps and UV off for an hour after adding them . Then you can go back to normal operations UV doesn't effect copepods. Population of copepods gos off food source it's recommended to get the colony established with some phytoplankton then seen how well your tank can maintain them .

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have millions and never dozed them.. I did get my tank second hand that’s about 10 years old.. I see shells flying all over durning the day from either molting or my six line having a feast and spitting the shells out! Haha big ones too!
Most probably amphipods if they are big !

OP
OP
Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you have in the tank ?
I have a moderate sized cannister filter return. And two small power heads. One of them is pointed at that hole in the rocks in the middle. One is pointing at the bottom corner on the left. I can see movement in all parts of the tank t varying degrees. I don't see any dead spots.

The filter return is at the top, just above where the image stops.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back