Question on cycling

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bottle of FritzZyme TurboStart 900 to speed up the cycling process, and I know the bacteria needs ammonia to feed on to start but I don't have any.

Would I be able to drop a raw shrimp or 2 in the tank to give off ammonia for the bacteria to feed on? if so how long would that process take and how long should i leave the shrimp in the tank for?

I have a 20G.

Thank you guys for the help!

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up a bottle of ammonia at any hardware type store. I got one at Ace for like $3. The reason I dont like the shrimp is all the other junk it adds to the system. But yeah, a lot of people just drop in a table shrimp and let it rot.

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up a bottle of ammonia at any hardware type store. I got one at Ace for like $3. The reason I dont like the shrimp is all the other junk it adds to the system. But yeah, a lot of people just drop in a table shrimp and let it rot.

I live in a small town but luckily we have an Ace, ill have to stop by tomorrow and pick up a bottle, thank you!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the table shrimp, as @dugthefish mentioned you can use amonnia. Either way don't rush it, let nature take it's course. :)

+1 It will help if you place the shrimp in a cutoff pair of pantyhose tied off for easy removal when finished with it.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do pick up some ammonia from the hardware store make sure the ingrediants are pure ammonia. If it says anything about surfactants it's a no go. Surfactants are soap.

Either method works. Just test your water every other day or so to keep track of the progress.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are sure that the ammonia is 100% pure, I would either go with the shrimp, or order some Dr. Tims ammonia online.

Some ammonia also contains perfume and colorings.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A deli shrimp or piece of frozen fish in a pantyhose or media sock will be fine to start cycle.
Place it in then monitor ammonia and soon as you reach 1.5ppm pull it out and dose bacteria.
In my study of bottled bacteria turbostart 900 is really quick to cycle tanks. I would guess 3 to 4 days.
Hope it came in a cold pack and you kept it in fridge

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ll need to dose ammonia until it reaches 2ppm. when it goes back down to 0 within 8-12 hours, your tank is cycled. does anyone know how much dead shrimp it takes to get ammonia to 2ppm? no? didn’t think so. use pure ammonia. geez.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you’ll need to dose ammonia until it reaches 2ppm. when it goes back down to 0 within 8-12 hours, your tank is cycled. does anyone know how much dead shrimp it takes to get ammonia to 2ppm? no? didn’t think so. use pure ammonia. geez.
What are you saying geez for? No one nows how much shrimp it takes to get 2ppm but testing lets you know when you're there and you pull it out. Of course using ammonia is a more precise method but lots of tanks out there that started with shrimp rotting.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the oldest known method to kick start a cycle. Shrimp starts to decay and by testing one can tell when it reaches 1.5-2ppm.
Once there pull it and dose bacteria.
I predict 20g with turbostart will cycle in 3 to 4 days.

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A deli shrimp or piece of frozen fish in a pantyhose or media sock will be fine to start cycle.
Place it in then monitor ammonia and soon as you reach 1.5ppm pull it out and dose bacteria.
In my study of bottled bacteria turbostart 900 is really quick to cycle tanks. I would guess 3 to 4 days.
Hope it came in a cold pack and you kept it in fridge
Yes it came with cold packs so i read the bottle and it says to keep refrigerated, so its been in the mini fridge the past couple of days until set up, thanks!

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone, I was going to add the bacteria first then the shrimp/ammonia....... good thing i asked lol.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone, I was going to add the bacteria first then the shrimp/ammonia....... good thing i asked lol.
Good luck with the tank. Just remember to take your time with getting the tank cycled. It's worse than watching paint dry but patience is key here.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back