Question on if I need to feed copepods and can zooplankton address the ugly stage of cycling

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 36 gallon bowfront with a 4.5(ish) gallon aquafuge as a refugium. This has been running for about 3 months (rock was cultured and cycled for months beforehand) and so far I have added a few fish to the display and some Ulva and red gracilia in the fuge. I am looking to add copepods nainly because I intend for them to be part of the CUC and algea prevention.

So, now to my question. Because I am hoping that they will eat algea should I buy and feed them zooplankton? I want them to eat the algea so should I spend money on addutional food? I should also mention that I havent gone through the "ugly" part of the cycle yet and I was considering using zooplankton because some places say that certain Zooplankton will compete with or keep the uglies to a minimum. If this is true should I add zooplankton regardless? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a 36 gallon bowfront with a 4.5(ish) gallon aquafuge as a refugium. This has been running for about 3 months (rock was cultured and cycled for months beforehand) and so far I have added a few fish to the display and some Ulva and red gracilia in the fuge. I am looking to add copepods nainly because I intend for them to be part of the CUC and algea prevention.

So, now to my question. Because I am hoping that they will eat algea should I buy and feed them zooplankton? I want them to eat the algea so should I spend money on addutional food? I should also mention that I havent gone through the "ugly" part of the cycle yet and I was considering using zooplankton because some places say that certain Zooplankton will compete with or keep the uglies to a minimum. If this is true should I add zooplankton regardless? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I like the concept of adding live zooplankton to a new aquarium and used to do so regularly. It won't prevent the ugly stage but I feel it does help keep things healthy as the tank matures.

OP
OP
J

Jorda320

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the concept of adding live zooplankton to a new aquarium and used to do so regularly. It won't prevent the ugly stage but I feel it does help keep things healthy as the tank matures.

Im glad to hear that. I don't mind spending money on things for the tank, but if it is not an official in any way I could use that money elsewhere. Guess I'll be heading back over to algaebarn. Thanks for the info

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back