Question on lighting my Reef Tank

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to the hobby with several years of experience in freshwater and plan to convert my 55 gallon African Cichlid tank to a reef tank. Been doing a ton of research and hear really good things about the AI Prime 16 HD light. What have you all thought of this light? Also, my 55 gallon is the standard size being 48 inches long (it is just and Aqueon tank I picked up during the dollar per gallon sale). Would two of these lights work for the tank? I am not planning on doing any sort of corals that are super sensitive or require great light intensity. What kinds of corals would be best for my given light conditions? Thanks!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two would work to light the tank, but you'll be lacking in coverage.

Don't fall into the trap of "I'm not planning to have coral now, so I'll get something that is just OK and upgrade later". This ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the end.

If you're on a budget I would check out some T5 lighting options. A 48in 4 bulb option would be great over a 55g. You could even go with the Aquatic Life Hybrid option, and just use the T5 light for now, and add in some led's later on if you get into coral that need more light.

My opinion is biased. I like the look of T5 over led's, and think we pay way too much for led's that include features you never use. I have T5's on simple outlet timers and smart plugs on my systems.

OP
OP
D

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two would work to light the tank, but you'll be lacking in coverage.

Don't fall into the trap of "I'm not planning to have coral now, so I'll get something that is just OK and upgrade later". This ALWAYS comes back to bite you in the end.

If you're on a budget I would check out some T5 lighting options. A 48in 4 bulb option would be great over a 55g. You could even go with the Aquatic Life Hybrid option, and just use the T5 light for now, and add in some led's later on if you get into coral that need more light.

My opinion is biased. I like the look of T5 over led's, and think we pay way too much for led's that include features you never use. I have T5's on simple outlet timers and smart plugs on my systems.
Thank you very much for this detailed response. I am indeed on a bit of a budget and am still trying to figure things out. I am having trouble finding t5 hoods for a 55 gallon. Is there a specific product you would recommend or can you lead me in the right direction? I have indeed heard good things about t5 lighting. Thanks!

Also, mounting hanging the light fixture from the ceiling is unfortuantely not an option for me.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could look into Mars Aqua leds. I run two 165w, and it works just fine on my 55, could get away with one, but coverage lacks around the ends. Independent white/blue channels with dimmers. Grows algae like mad if you want algae eaters. I have green star polyp and aussie star polyp no problem under one. Guy I bought them from says he kept anenomes and some high light requiring corals.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use something like this to mount it from the wall if possible.

Or this one to mount directly to the stand

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for fixtures

It can be as simple as this fixture and swapping out bulbs

Or, it can be fancy as this from BRS

I had great luck searching FB, R2R, and craigslist for fixtures. I got a coralife 48in 4 bulb for $50, a tek light 6 bulb for $100, and I'm picking up a 60" 8 bulb ATI on friday for $300.

I did say I'm biased toward t5, let me explain a little.

1. BRS has done many videos on LED lighting and "if it isn't t5 it should act like t5", well... why not just use t5's then

2. I am not home to enjoy many of the features LED fixtures offer. I am up and out of the house before 730am, therefore I get no enjoyment out of a light that ramps up, and then I'm usually putting my kids to bed when the lights would be ramping down, again missing out on this feature.

3. Clouds and weather functions on led's are GARBAGE. It annoys me, and fish act crazy with the lights flashing on and off to simulate a thunderstorm. Plus, you'll NEVER use this feature except when someone new comes over and you want to show them that feature. Again, paying for features you won't use.

4. Price - I simply will not pay $400+ for a single fixture, let alone one that won't even light my whole tank.

5. Spectrum - the ATI blue plus bulb is the "gold standard" of what should be used. I simply choose to use that standard instead of trying duplicate it.

6. Spectrum continued - LED's offer the ability to adjust all sorts of spectrum colors. But once you find what you want, you don't change it. Again, paying for a feature that you will barely use.

Now don't take my LED bashing as I hate them, because I don't. There's lots of tanks that use LED's that are BEAUTIFUL and have amazing growth and color.

T5's are in my budget, provide great coverage and spectrum (with the correct bulbs used), and are simple to use.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back