Question on lighting

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that the coral tanks at my local fish seller are using blue light. I inherited this 5 gallon wedge tank and it's lighting. I do not have a Par meter, but this is what it looks like with the lights at full.

Does it matter what color the lights are? At the fish store they had their lights all deep blue. I don't know if this was because they wanted to enhance the display, or because it promotes coral health/growth. Will it hurt the corals/anemones to have too much light? It's a pretty tall tank. It's about 30 inches deep, with the light sitting about 7 inches above the top. Right now I have it maxed because it is so deep.

Tank 1.PNG
Tank 2.PNG
Tank 3.jpg
PXL_20220226_170632273.MP.jpg
PXL_20220226_170619955.MP.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals typically look best under blue light - which is why you'll see them bathed in brilliant blue light in most LFS. I don't know what kind of LED light that is, but it's probably more than sufficient. The only way to get an accurate reading of the light levels is with a PAR meter, though.

OP
OP
Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Jeff-Ft-Lauderdale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals typically look best under blue light - which is why you'll see them bathed in brilliant blue light in most LFS. I don't know what kind of LED light that is, but it's probably more than sufficient. The only way to get an accurate reading of the light levels is with a PAR meter, though.
I was not worried about looks so much at the moment. I wanted to make sure it's not too low or too high for them.

The corals I have are beginner corals mostly. Green Star Polyps (which seem to thrive under any lighting), A Duncan coral, a small Mushroom coral, and the Toadstool coral in the middle (which is the one I'm most concerned about). I also have a couple Rose Bubble Tip Anemones which seem to be shrinking (not enough light?), and a single Green Long Tentacle Anemone that won't root to anything.

The Green Long Tentacle especially I am wondering if it is not getting enough light or too much light.

So my main concern is that they're getting enough light and whether or not I might be overdoing it with the light.

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed that the coral tanks at my local fish seller are using blue light. I inherited this 5 gallon wedge tank and it's lighting. I do not have a Par meter, but this is what it looks like with the lights at full.

Does it matter what color the lights are? At the fish store they had their lights all deep blue. I don't know if this was because they wanted to enhance the display, or because it promotes coral health/growth. Will it hurt the corals/anemones to have too much light? It's a pretty tall tank. It's about 30 inches deep, with the light sitting about 7 inches above the top. Right now I have it maxed because it is so deep.

Tank 1.PNG
Tank 2.PNG
Tank 3.jpg
PXL_20220226_170632273.MP.jpg
PXL_20220226_170619955.MP.jpg
if i remembered correctly, this was a chinese 165w led fixture, your tank is 5 gallon, and 100% of the blue light from this fixture was about 60-80w already! it sounds overkilling lighting intensity to me. we're waiting for a pro's answer here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Blue brings out certain fluorescence offered by corals and even fish but do not rely on Blue only. White-red and UV are essential for coral health and white is the color that will feed algae for production of zooxanthellae with coral structure in addition to growth and color
Pet store: The reason Pet stores as in the case of my store focus on blue is that very reason- To bring out the fluorescence and make that sale. I run Orphek lighting and one of the modes is demo and " Store" setting which pinpoints the essential coral colors.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a black box. Full blast they can put out 8 or 900 par. I ran 2 on my 90g before at 20w 60blue.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back