Question on plumbing..

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys regardless of my return pump speed the overflow pushes alot of water down to my sump. It makes alot of splashing sound. Can I put a ball valve in line to slow down the flow just a little? It makes me nervous just incase it gets clogged.

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide more information about the type of overflow you have. HOB, internal, external... The degree of risk depends on the type of overflow you have. If it's a duel, or more, you can alter the plumbing to control the flow on one and raise the other to use as an emergency.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a ball valve on mine. I have a screen cover for the inlet leading down to the sump to prevent any large debris from getting in and potentially clogging it. Also about once a month I cycle the ball valve open closed a few times and let it run a few minutes fully open. Not sure it does anything, but in my head doing that makes sure the valve doesnt get stuck and also helps flush anything that has potentially begun building up on the partially closed ball valve. Also i operate my ball valve at about 85% capacity, so its not very restricted, just enough to decrease sound a little.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so when you use the ball valve does that also decrease the bubbles and splashing? My creates alot of bubbles and splashes creating salt creep. This should stop that right

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of overflow do you have? Herbie, BeanAnimal etc. How many pipes are there? If set up correctly, it should be silent regardless of how much water is flowing through. Do the pipes enter the sump below the water line? Into socks?

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a picture now but yest it does enter below the water line

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1479349497819.jpg
1479349502066.jpg
1479349505759.jpg

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in the process of cycling so there is no filter sock on

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so when you use the ball valve does that also decrease the bubbles and splashing? My creates alot of bubbles and splashes creating salt creep. This should stop that right
If you're going to do it I would definitely suggest using a gate valve (like others have mentioned). I have a ball valve on mine and it can be a real pain to fine tune. The problem stems from it being difficult to make minor adjustments, a task MUCH easier to do with a gate valve. To answer your question though, yes, putting a valve of some sort on your overflow will get rid of the annoying splashing and bubbles once you get it tuned in properly.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to do it I would definitely suggest using a gate valve (like others have mentioned). I have a ball valve on mine and it can be a real pain to fine tune. The problem stems from it being difficult to make minor adjustments, a task MUCH easier to do with a gate valve. To answer your question though, yes, putting a valve of some sort on your overflow will get rid of the annoying splashing and bubbles once you get it tuned in properly.
So should this reduce salt creep as well?

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume less splashing/bubbles bursting should result in less salt creep. I honestly can't tell you for sure though.
The only reason I'm asking is I have been using 2 different hydrometer and one is like .002 different then the other and dropping. The fluval intake is dropping and the instant ocean stays the same I don't no what to believe

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely invest in getting a refractometer. They are more accurate and honestly worth the money. As for now, I would just split the difference on the two hydrometers.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely invest in getting a refractometer. They are more accurate and honestly worth the money. As for now, I would just split the difference on the two hydrometers.
What about that milwaukee meter?

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about that milwaukee meter?
Oh snap. I've always wanted one, but never gotten up the guts to buy the thing. I did just recently get some Hanna testers and I will say that a digital readout coupled with simple test steps makes for some easy work. If you have the funds I would say go for it.

OP
OP
A

Arom0024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap. I've always wanted one, but never gotten up the guts to buy the thing. I did just recently get some Hanna testers and I will say that a digital readout coupled with simple test steps makes for some easy work. If you have the funds I would say go for it.
I think that's my best bet. This is a new setup too so I'll keep everyone posted

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back