Question on quarantine

Michael v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought to green chromis and placed them in a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I have a sponge filter witch I had in my sump for about a month. I watched a U tube video where the person said he treats the tank with cupramine as soon as he puts the fish in. Now I read the cupramine will kill the bacteria on the filter. I already dosed half the recommend dose. Did I mess up and should I only use if the fish show signs of ick or red velvet?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically people don't worry about cycling the quarantine tank since it is temporary and treated with a variety of medications. Typically it is a bare bottom tank with maybe some plastic hiding spots but it doesn't usually have a sand bed and live rock because a variety of medications will kill off the bacteria. Most people rely on mechanical filtration with HOB or canister filters and water changes from the display tank to keep that parameters where they should be.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the treatment/hospital tank version. Other people set up quarantine tanks that function as secondary tanks with live rock and sand and are cycled and new fish are put in for observation only and moved to a hospital tank for treatment if required. There's no "right way" to do it, but it you are only doing cupramine for 2 weeks proactively, there's no reason to stress over the tank cycling.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back