Question on water

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my LFS to get some salt water. They told me their fresh salt water wasn’t looking right, and proceeded to fill my jugs with water from their coral display tanks. This is for my QT tank, and I buy because I don’t like making and storing water for the QT. There are no fish in this system, although it’s open and right next to their fish display. They also charged me normal full price for fresh made Saltwater lol. Should I use this? What’s the best way to decontaminate my jugs now? Maybe it’s an overreaction on my part

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to my LFS to get some salt water. They told me their fresh salt water wasn’t looking right, and proceeded to fill my jugs with water from their coral display tanks. This is for my QT tank, and I buy because I don’t like making and storing water for the QT. There are no fish in this system, although it’s open and right next to their fish display. They also charged me normal full price for fresh made Saltwater lol. Should I use this? What’s the best way to decontaminate my jugs now? Maybe it’s an overreaction on my part
I'd be nervous as well. Basically, whatever is in their tanks would be going into your QT -- not a fan of that idea. Of course if the LFS says that their own fresh saltwater doesn't look right that would make me nervous about the LFS. I leave my QT up and running all of the time, and when I need to "reset" it, I simply take water from my DT to refill the QT when I'm doing a water change.

Honestly, this is why most folks have a RODI and make their own saltwater. You have complete control over the process, and know what's going on. If you're only making small water changes some folks are buying distilled and making their own saltwater.

As for cleaning the jugs, I'd toss in freshwater with a touch of bleach and slosh it around. Follow it up with a few freshwater rinses with the last one including Seachem Prime to take out any chlorine and stuff. Then I'd let them air dry.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice of you to support your LFS!

giphy.gif

Fishn’Chick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds questionable. I’d def. never use my LFS’s water from their tanks. They are constantly selling and buying fish from lord knows were. Good luck .

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water does not look right sounds really odd. I use RODI water and a salt mix. Sometimes the quality control on the mix is off but with testing I can nail that down and it is pretty rare to happen.

Also they should not sell water from their system. It is too e to have disease in them.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back