Question regarding coral

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know! For tubastrea, is that because it's non-photosynthetic?
Not necessarily. There is probably some non photosynthetic corals that don't need all of their polyps to be feed, and there is also probably photosynthetic corals that need all of their polyps to be fed. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way it evolved, so maybe close relatives of tubastrea such as dendrophyllia and duncanopsammia need all of their polyps to be fed in order for the whole colony to benefit.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm pretty sure everything I have is photosynthetic, so that's good to know. I hear they will grow faster if I target feed. If I miss the smaller polyps does that mean those won't grow as fast? Some of them are at the bottom of the tank and are pretty hard to reach for someone small like me hahaha
Coral feeders make this a breeze.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each polyp is its own thing technically yes, they are colonial though and will share resources. That said, feeding is unnecessary for 99% of the corals in the hobby assuming you are feeding your fish and you are not keeping the water too clean. Only non-photosynthetic corals which are fairly rare require any sort of target feeding and not even all of those do TBH. Some corals won't eat anything except live bacteria or phyto in which case it wouldn't matter!

OP
OP
L

Laurosaur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each polyp is its own thing technically yes, they are colonial though and will share resources. That said, feeding is unnecessary for 99% of the corals in the hobby assuming you are feeding your fish and you are not keeping the water too clean. Only non-photosynthetic corals which are fairly rare require any sort of target feeding and not even all of those do TBH. Some corals won't eat anything except live bacteria or phyto in which case it wouldn't matter!
Thanks! I didn’t know some corals only eat bacteria/phyto. That’s really interesting.

My water is definitely really clean at the moment, but my bio load has increased (and will increase a bit more in a couple weeks when I pick up more fish) so that should help.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back