Question Regarding Parameters?

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about 10 Month in to my first AIO 50 gallon reef tank.Been trying to take it nice and slow before adding any corals but now started to realize since I have not been up to date on my testing ,some of my parameters are not where Id like them to be at.I do have a skimmer since day one and is running 24/7. My main concern is my Po3 staying Between 25-30ppm despite weekly 20% WC . My Po4 sit right about 0.13. I want to see if on the right track , Iv started Carbon dosing Elimi NP to my understanding help lower No3 and slightly lower Po4 and Vibrant due to a Bubble algae outbreak . I feed once a day, I dont consider my tank load to heavy ( All Small : 2 clowns , Yellow Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Midas Blenny, Kole Tang) Any thing you guys recommend I could do to improve my parameters before the introduction of softy/lps corals.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the skimmer working? Any way you can get some chaeto going? Maybe a diy chaeto reactor? I'd grab a cheap tester coral (softy) and see how it does

highest_tides

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like those parameters are a little high. My first 55g AIO and I've only been reefing less than a year held really high nitrates and phosphates like that and I was constantly dealing with something. Since that I upgraded to 165g volume including my SUMP and I run a 40w UV at low flow (2x return pumps to DT) and I sit around 15 nitrate and .02 as of tonight phosphate.

I cleaned and maintained my AIO but something about it..I couldn't keep me parameters in line.

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the skimmer working? Any way you can get some chaeto going? Maybe a diy chaeto reactor? I'd grab a cheap tester coral (softy) and see how it does
I was thinking of putting a cheap kenya tree or some gsp island to see what would happen. I do have a reactor just waiting vibrant to defeat my bubble algae

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like those parameters are a little high. My first 55g AIO and I've only been reefing less than a year held really high nitrates and phosphates like that and I was constantly dealing with something. Since that I upgraded to 165g volume including my SUMP and I run a 40w UV at low flow (2x return pumps to DT) and I sit around 15 nitrate and .02 as of tonight phosphate.

I cleaned and maintained my AIO but something about it..I couldn't keep me parameters in line.
There are some really amazing old reefs around with numbers much higher than that. Stability is the most important thing.

I don't test nitrates and phosphates much but last time I did I had 25ppm nitrates and .18 po4
20201027_153228.jpg
20201027_153206.jpg

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cleaned and maintained my AIO but something about it..I couldn't keep me parameters in
Im on the same boat and there only so much you can fit in the back , Ideally would like to get my nitrate between 10-15 and phosphate around 0.05

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some really amazing old reefs around with numbers much higher than that. Stability is the most important thing.

I don't test nitrates and phosphates much but last time I did I had 25ppm nitrates and .18 po4
20201027_153228.jpg
20201027_153206.jpg
It makes total sense , I just see everyone talk about number now in days and all were doing is chasing numbers , but my numbers have been like that since month 6 haven’t really gone up while my nitrates I should say I haven’t really paid attention to my phosphates

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw the only things I really test are temp, salinity, Alk, Cal, and mag,

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing with parameters is pick your range and keep them within your target values.
I test alk once day, at the same scheduled time, and log. I could get away with once a week but it only takes a couple minutes.
I test mag and ca maybe every 2 months as they never change much.
Alk 7-7.5
Ca 450 range 420-500
Mag 1350 range 1300-1400
Po4 runs .02-.06 my range is .02-.1
No3 runs 5-10 range is 5-10
Sg 1.026 range 1.0255-1.01265
Temp.79-81°

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all the reply and help @xxkenny90xx @90's reefer So just to sum up as long as my parameters maintain stable and don’t fluctuate by alot I should continue to aim to keep those numbers consistent. Now going back to what I initially had mentioned , I am carbon dosing now im guessing this could help me lower my nutrients and once i get to my goal I just need to work on keeping them stable correct .

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all the reply and help @xxkenny90xx @90's reefer So just to sum up as long as my parameters maintain stable and don’t fluctuate by alot I should continue to aim to keep those numbers consistent. Now going back to what I initially had mentioned , I am carbon dosing now im guessing this could help me lower my nutrients and once i get to my goal I just need to work on keeping them stable correct .
Alot of people swear by carbon and have success. I personally keep it on hand in case of something contaminating my tank but never actually use it due to the studies linking carbon use to lateral line disease

OP
OP
L

lx_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people swear by carbon and have success. I personally keep it on hand in case of something contaminating my tank but never actually use it due to the studies linking carbon use to lateral line disease
When refering to carbon , is carbon dosing like elimi np the same as added carbon in a bag ? Im using tropic marin elimi np

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon dosing to feed my bacteria and corals not to lower but keep no3 and po4 stable.
Carbon dosing will lower both just go slow.
I use a product called DSR EZ Carbon. Its a blend of vinager, sugar and iron.
I ran my 120 for 16 months without any carbon dosing.
After 1 month of dosing my colors are much more vivid and corals appear healthier and are going through a growing faze that is very noticable.
I only dose 8ml of the product daily as its quite strong.
I went up to 12ml and backed off as the algae went from green to white on my glass which is a great way to tell if you are dosing correctly, imo.

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back